Hey, completely new to coding, in need of some serious help.

Hello.. a little important information about what our project is; Our project is collecting tweets with explicit language and ranking them in how inappropriate they are. We're using LEDs to project this, if there's 1 swear word it lights up 3 LEDs, if there's 2 swear words it lights up 6 LEDs, if there's 3+ then 9 get lit up. We've already gathered the appropriate data and even ranked them, but as of now we're confused on what to do with it. what we do know is that we have to create a csv file and rank each swear word with a specific number and link the CSV to the coding, but we're unsure on how to do this. What i'd like help with is maybe a tutorial on how we can link data with the Arduino and how to get it to blink when we can. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Probably the easiest way to do it is by sending serial commands to the Arduino. So the application on your computer processes the tweet and then sends a serial message over the USB cable to the Arduino. Then the sketch on your Arduino lights up the LEDs according to the command. You can get more information on using Serial here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Serial and example sketches in the Arduino IDE under File > Examples > Communication such as SerialEvent.

If you want to run the whole thing on your Arduino then depending on the length of the CSV you might want to put it on a SD card so you don't use up all the Flash memory on the Arduino. The Ethernet Shield and some of the WiFi shields even have a SD card slot on them so you could use a single shield for your network connection and SD card. If you don't have so many expletives then you could just put them in an array in your sketch.

Our project is collecting tweets with explicit language and ranking them in how inappropriate they are.

I am tempted to say get a fu**ing life. And how high and mighty for you to rank them.

What idiot gave you that project and why on earth did you accept?

We better watch out or the forum will be rated. :'(

I agree completely with @Grumpy_MIke. "Free speech" for all.

It is also important to realize that words that may be distasteful in one culture are perfectly acceptable in another - even within a single city. Categorizing based on swear words is just a form of snobbery.

In any case this seems like a silly project for an Arduino. Just do it on a PC.

...R

It sounds like you've found a way to use swear words at at school while you're "testing" the thing. Just be careful not to directly insult the teacher who is giving you your grades.

pert: Probably the easiest way to do it is by sending serial commands to the Arduino. So the application on your computer processes the tweet and then sends a serial message over the USB cable to the Arduino. Then the sketch on your Arduino lights up the LEDs according to the command. You can get more information on using Serial here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Serial and example sketches in the Arduino IDE under File > Examples > Communication such as SerialEvent.

Thanks! This is pretty useful! We'll give this a shot later.

Grumpy_Mike: I am tempted to say get a fu**ing life. And how high and mighty for you to rank them.

What idiot gave you that project and why on earth did you accept?

I guess inappropriate is a bit of an exaggeration, just judging the severity of the language being used.

Also i must say you are quite grumpy.

Robin2: I agree completely with @Grumpy_MIke. "Free speech" for all.

It is also important to realize that words that may be distasteful in one culture are perfectly acceptable in another - even within a single city. Categorizing based on swear words is just a form of snobbery.

In any case this seems like a silly project for an Arduino. Just do it on a PC.

...R

For our project we had to come up with a physical way of projecting data, the idea is entirely our own but we didn't really come here for criticism on that.

but we didn't really come here for criticism on that.

Sorry but that is all part of asking for advice. We get a lot of beginners who come up with totally impracticable ideas and we have to put them straight. Yours seems to involve the unnecessary use of an Arduino and three LEDs per one bad word seems a little alarmist.

Also i must say you are quite grumpy.

Only with a self selecting group of questioners.

EddySalsa: but we didn't really come here for criticism on that.

When you move into the big wide world it is common to discover that other cultures are very different from your own comfortable enclave.

I do not like the idea that students are being encouraged to categorize people. It is a small step from there to bigotry, hatred and violence.

I hope you would be offended if I suggested that you use an Arduino to categorize people by the colour of their skin. But how is categorization by swear-words any different ?

...R

Grumpy_Mike: Sorry but that is all part of asking for advice. We get a lot of beginners who come up with totally impracticable ideas and we have to put them straight.

I appreciate this but we really don't have time to alter our ideas and find better methods of portraying them and as I stated above we had to find a physical way of projecting our data and arduino does seem like the best bet at the time, we're pretty naive in the world of project design so we went with what we know.

Yours seems to involve the unnecessary use of an Arduino and three LEDs per one bad word seems a little alarmist.

We went with three per bad word because not many people swear more than 3 times. We went with 9 LEDs because we were going for a strongman like idea where once there's more than 4 swear words it hits the top and let's out a "ding" sound but we scrapped that since we struggle to even get the LEDs lighting up when we want it to.

Robin2:
When you move into the big wide world it is common to discover that other cultures are very different from your own comfortable enclave.

I do not like the idea that students are being encouraged to categorize people. It is a small step from there to bigotry, hatred and violence.

I hope you would be offended if I suggested that you use an Arduino to categorize people by the colour of their skin. But how is categorization by swear-words any different ?

…R

Do you not think you’re overreacting a little bit? We’re just judging the severity and the quantity of swear words being used per tweet.

EddySalsa: Do you not think you're overreacting a little bit? We're just judging the severity and the quantity of swear words being used per tweet.

I don't actually think I am.

I don't think it was a completely random process that chose swear-words for testing. They were chosen because somebody thinks swear words are "a bad thing" and people who use them are not as "nice" as people who don't. And it is that categorization that I object to.

...R

Robin2: I don't actually think I am.

I don't think it was a completely random process that chose swear-words for testing. They were chosen because somebody thinks swear words are "a bad thing" and people who use them are not as "nice" as people who don't. And it is that categorization that I object to.

...R

I interpret this project more like:

Teacher: "Students, you need to use the Arduino to collect data and then display that data."

Student A: (to other students): "I know, let's count swear words!"

Student B: "We won't get away with that."

Student C: "We can come up with some reason for doing so by saying we're counting 'inappropriate language'."

Students A and B: "Good idea."

While I don't twitter myself (I do have an account), I prefer to hang with folks where the conversation is not flooded with cursing. If this is a way to get some stats on that, I don't have a problem with it.

Do you not think you’re overreacting a little bit? We’re just judging the severity and the quantity of swear words being used per tweet.

I’m not sure why some forum members have their panties in a wad over this project. It is an academic exercise that is more novel than many posted here. Anyway, the determination needs to be made as to weather a pc or arduino will do the tweet processing. I’m not familiar with tweeting so I would think a pc solution might be best, with the arduino controlling the LEDs as directed from the pc. You might consider using an LED VU type display controlled by the arduino for the final output (or a “Swear-O- Meter” operated by a servo). Lots of options.

Would you consider the word "fanny" as swearing? In the U.S. I believe this is a perfectly innocuous word where as in the U.K. it refers to a part of a woman's anatomy a bit further round and is a most offensive word.

In the U.K. if I called you a fag, it would be fine as it refers to a junior position in a public school. ( That means private school if you are in the U.S. ) If I were to call you a fag in the U.S. then that would be a swear word implying you are a homosexual.

A much better idea is to grade words as to posativity / negativity and have the LEDs go from sunny yellow to blue.

A similar idiotic project claims to detect the "world's mood" by following certain words on twitter, and adjusting the color of a lamp.

Of course, only words in the English language count, presumably because the only people that matter speak English.

The project could be seen as

• very interresting or absolutely boring
  • very helpful or useless
  • informative or senseless
  • sophisticated or idiotic
  • overly complex or trivial
  • not political correct or non-evaluative depending on the background, attitude and other circumstances.

I see no big difference to other projects like Halloween-gadgets, laser-swords or other complex-high-tech-fly-killing-machines.

Personally I would pick the second alternatives from the above list. ;)

May I suggest a small variation to the project that would allay my concerns about discrimination and which would also have some sound educational value.

Search for spelling mistakes in tweets (or in the Threads in this Forum).

...R