Hey ... I need help for new project

Actually I am trying to build an vehicle tracking system based on satellite communication rather than GSM/GPRS. I am using GTC(Axonn) STX2 development system and Arduino UNO R3. I am new to arduino. Previously I have experience in PIC!8 series micro controller. If anyone have any suggestion for deployment of the development system with the Arduino, then please help me.
Link of development system - http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/support/STX2-Development-System-User-Manual.pdf

Much appreciated!

Thanks
Nikhil Garg

It might help if you described what sort of help you're looking for, or maybe even... asked a question!

It looks like you talk to it over serial or softwareserial. That manual describes the physical connections of the dev board, and use of their software.
You will need to consult the datasheet for the part (not the manual for the board it is mounted on) to get the information on the protocol you'll need to use to talk to the STX2.

There are abundant posts, threads, guides and general information on these forums and elsewhere on the internet on using serial.

Be sure to set the jumpers for TTL serial mode - that board can do RS232 voltage levels according to the manual, which will trash your arduino.

thanks DrAzzy,
Actually as I told I am completely new to both of them. Stx2 and as well as the Arduino. To start up my work, I wanted to have a brief idea on how to proceed and how to interface this board with Arduino. As the provided data sheet states that the development system will only work if connected to the PC and that specified software. I am getting confused???? :slightly_frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face:

http://common.globalstar.com/doc/axonn/stx2-datsasheet.pdf

this is the link to datasheet of STX2

The manual you posted is for the development board, and describes how to control it from the PC. This is a step you will probably take when learning how to use the STX2 - they give you a software tool so you can talk to it with a PC, thus allowing you to figure out hoe to use the STX2 while taking arduino-specific problems out of the picture.

The datasheet describes the capabilities of the device and the protocol used to interface with it.

The program the development board comes with just sends and receives data over serial using the protocol described in the datasheet, and for your project, once you figure out what commands you want to send and have gotten the hang of it controlling it by hand from the PC, then you would program the arduino to send the same commands.

Many thanks,
I will start playing around with the dev system to understand the protocols and system.
And will get back to you if need any help in future.
Thanks again
with regards
Nikhil Garg

gargn3:
Many thanks,
I will start playing around with the dev system to understand the protocols and system.
And will get back to you if need any help in future.
Thanks again
with regards
Nikhil Garg

Hi Nikhil,

I am also interesting using Globalstar simplex modem for my Arduino project
But when reading further on Globalstar`s website:
Note: All products utilizing the STX3 Simplex Module require Globalstar Network Certification.

I guess the same applies for the STX2 simplex modem?

How did you do the workarund to apply for the Globalstar network certification?

Thanks in advantage,
BR,
Sindre

sindrevr:
Note: All products utilizing the STX3 Simplex Module require Globalstar Network Certification.

I guess the same applies for the STX2 simplex modem?

Yep. From the STX2 "Sell Sheet":-

Note: All products utilizing the STX2 Simplex Module require
Globalstar Network Certification. We recommend you contact the
Globalstar Product Certification Team as early as possible in your
development cycle.

They also say:-

When designing using the STX2, provisions should be made for
regulatory testing including continuous RF testing for spectral
measurements and power measurements.

How did you do the workarund to apply for the Globalstar network certification?

I doubt very much if there's a 'work-around'. Have you tried contacting them to ask what the procedure is, and what the requirements are, to obtain their network certification? (Obviously RF testing is one requirement.)

Reply from Globalstar regarding using their STX-3 chip:

"Also, any device that is built using the Chispet must undergo a full series of Laboratory tests and a certification process before it can be activated on the network, and the full costs of development can be anywhere between $80,000 to $100,00."

That is why i was getting curious about "gargn3`s post".

sindrevr:
.....and the full costs of development can be anywhere between $80,000 to $100,00."

Is that all. :smiley:

That is why i was getting curious about "gargn3`s post".

As I said, "I doubt very much if there's a 'work-around'."
They won't allow it to be active on the network until the certification process has been carried out.

So much for using it in hobbyist applications.

Even if the vendor didn’t cover themselves by insisting the regulatory side is taken care of, the regulators would shut you down anyway if you didn’t satisfy their rules.

Hi, did you use the GlobalStar Stingr in your project ?