Hi - Brand new and not a clue !!!!

G’day from Brisbane, Australia.

I have been reading about Arduino on instructables “pointless machine” projects so came over to have a look … hmm so much to discover.

I’ve posted my first question in the project guidance section so we’ll see how we go.

I’m so brand new to Arduino that I haven’t purchased any of it yet.

As it is I have so little time and money to do what I want…

I’m into motorbikes, guns, four wheel drives, history (I run and research for a maritime history website), steampunk, and plenty of other things including gaming and a wife who wants to spend time with me, for some unaccountable reason.

Oh and “wasting” time on forums is something I’m often accused of too… :smiley:

Welcome aboard. This site has a lot to help newbies (if they take the time to read it!). Look under the Learning tab above.

The search function will also come up with many answers to any questions. Once you have attempted to find the answer yourself, then ask on the forum. You will get a lot more assistance by showing you have tried to find your own answer.

Always supply your code and circuit if relevant (and it usually is).

Weedpharma

I'm into motorbikes, guns, four wheel drives...

Likewise (see my avatar), I'm up near Bundaberg.

Welcome to the home of Arduino.

Heh - all you Aussies with guns. That’s not how we hear it over here in Usa.

Yeah it seems that the rest of the world thinks we have a "gun ban" here in Oz. That's far from the truth.

In fact nothing is "banned" as such, but some guns are classified for professional hunters only and it's very difficult to get that status, to the point where semi-auto long guns and pump shot guns are essentially impossible to legally own.

That said, all pump, bolt, and lever-action rifles are ok, lever shot guns are ok, and all revolvers and semi-auto pistols are ok (up to 45cal I think).

Some states don't allow the "sniper" calibers like 50BMG and 338lapua, some do, but then I think 6.5creedmore is legal everywhere. Some states ban some guns because they look to "tactical", some don't.

It's a bit like the US in that regard, rules differ in the various states.

In my state (Queensland) I can own pretty much what I like, no real restrictions on hand guns and only the above-mentioned limits on long guns.

So all this means that semi-auto long guns are not available, so we can forget ARs etc. No real loss IMO but losing the venerable Ruger 10/22 when all this came into practice in 1996 was a blow...that said there is a legal way around that particular limitation and you can own a 10/22 in a slightly different guise.

Another restriction is magazine capacity. AFAIK all states have a 10-round limit on both hand and long guns.

You also have to register all guns and show a "genuine reason" for owning them. The genuine reason is as simple as joining a club and for long guns you don't ever have to attend. Hand guns have to be shot in "competitions" X number of times a year, but many (most?) clubs treat any meeting as a competition so just show up, fire 1 round and go home. A bit of a pain in some ways but I go every month anyway so it makes no difference to me.

That's the gist of it, there are many anomalies and stupidities in the system but it could be a LOT worse.

Most people I know have a safe full of guns, 29 is the limit unless you are a dealer but they don't seem to count and I know people with more than that.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

You are aware that the reason for this..

As it is I have so little time and money to do what I want....

is this...

I'm into motorbikes, guns, four wheel drives, history (I run and research for a maritime history website), steampunk, and plenty of other things including gaming and a wife who wants to spend time with me, for some unaccountable reason.

and this

Oh and "wasting" time on forums is something I'm often accused of too..... :D

is how some of us relax, and the missus knows where we are. lol

Tom.. :)

TomGeorge: ... and the missus knows where we are. lol

Not if we do it at our girlfriend's house! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

TomGeorge - yeah I am perfectly aware… :slight_smile:

BTW I just got this error:

You have exceeded the number of posts you can make in a 5 minutes period. Please try again later.

What am I missing? Is this a permanent restriction or just up until you have a certain number of posts I’ve only commented in a couple of threads in that timeframe !

landyvlad: ... BTW I just got this error:

What am I missing? Is this a permanent restriction or just up until you have a certain number of posts I've only commented in a couple of threads in that timeframe !

You are missing 93 more posts.

ChrisTenone: You are missing 93 more posts.

That'll probably take a day or two... ROFLMAO.

Waiting patiently for Arduino and electronics stuff to turn up in the post but may have to wait a few more weeks - the cost of saving money !