Hibernate/Power down Arduino Uno (not sleep) with XBee

Hi, first of all I have the Arduino Uno sleeping without the XBee or the shield. The power reduction however, is only about 1/4 (went from 40mA to 30mA). I then tried it with XBee and the XBee shield installed (series 2 btw), but the thing never powers down (or XBee wakes it up instantly)

My first question is how do I deal with XBee preventing the Arudino going into low power mode

I need to drastically reduce how much the XBee consumes to prolong battery life.

My application requires me to wake up the Arduino periodically every 15 minutes and communicate briefly with a continuously powered server

So,

How about putting the arduino processor to standy/power down mode to use as little power as possible? If I was to put the chip into power down mode would I need to use external circuitory to wake it up or is there some way I can run something like a 15 minute timer on the processor with no external circuitry required to automatically power up the device? What would I need to do to also make XBee power down/up in sync with the Arduino processor?

Thanks Kiwi

----(O) ( '--.,. ,___/ | \ ^ ^

What would I need to do to also make XBee power down/up in sync with the Arduino processor?

digi.com has instruction manuals for all the XBees, including how to put them to sleep and wake them up. The same code that sleeps and wakes the Arduino can sleep and wake the XBee.