High Altitude Data Logger suddenly not working anymore

I am building a data logger for a high altitude balloon using instructions from The Ultimate High Altitude Balloon Data Logger on Instructables. I had successfully built it and it was working fine until yesterday. Suddenly, the Sparkfun Open Log did not write any data to the SD card and the UBLOX MAX M8C GPS unit is not working. The only change made was that I replaced the TMP-36 sensor as one of the prongs broke off. I am using an Arduino nano, but I switched it to an Uno board in case that was the problem. Nothing changed.

The Open Log isn't even lighting up except for as soon as I plug the Arduino into power. Normally, an LED will light up everytime it writes data to the SD card. I have reset the Open Log and nothing has changed.

The issue with the Ublox unit is similar to one I had earlier in the build process involving a library that wasn't installed. I had fixed that and made no changes to the code since, but the issue has come back, and the library that solved the issue (software serial) is still installed and there are no updates available.

I have no idea what the problem is, as it happened so suddenly. If you have any more questions I can answer them or attach the code. Any help is appreciated as I have tried everything I know.

You did not tell us whether the SD card is in good condition or not. Can you still format it? Can you still copy other files to it?
Paul

Triple check continuity of all wiring and proper voltages with your multimeter, and that there are no short circuits due to solder blobs, etc.

Paul_KD7HB:
You did not tell us whether the SD card is in good condition or not. Can you still format it? Can you still copy other files to it?
Paul

yes, I have tried several different sd cards, and have refromatted them both to ensure its not a problem with them. However, most times I power it up, the config file does not appear and the file with the data doesn't as well. When on occasion they do appear, the config file is normal, but the data file is empty.

Strider:
yes, I have tried several different sd cards, and have refromatted them both to ensure its not a problem with them. However, most times I power it up, the config file does not appear and the file with the data doesn't as well. When on occasion they do appear, the config file is normal, but the data file is empty.

That's good! And your code remembers to close the SD card file before shutting down?
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
That's good! And your code remembers to close the SD card file before shutting down?
Paul

I believe so, I haven't done much programming though so I'm not positive. It was working the way it should have been before, just suddenly in the past day it doesn't write to the card. I can attach the full code here if you would like, it is from the Instructables page. Just let me know! Thanks for the help!

jremington:
Triple check continuity of all wiring and proper voltages with your multimeter, and that there are no short circuits due to solder blobs, etc.

I've checked continuity and voltage a couple times. I've moved it mostly to breadboard now, that way I could try the Uno board I have instead of the Nano, but nothing has changed, still the same issues.

Then you basically have to take the project apart, and test each component individually, with known good example code.

Putting everything back together is quick, the second time around.

jremington:
Then you basically have to take the project apart, and test each component individually, with known good example code.

Putting everything back together is quick, the second time around.

Ok! Do you suggest doing anything to test the Uno and Nano boards out, and if so what would you suggest? I have successfully run open loop tests on them, so I assume they are working, but I also have very limited experience with Arduino so I could be wrong in assuming that. I've got example code I've used before to test both the GPS and SD logger, so that will be pretty easy.
Thank you so much for your help!

If the Arduino runs any of the example programs (even Blink), it is probably fine. However, it is possible that an input or output pin might have been damaged, and a demo program will still appear to be working.

You can damage a pin by connecting 3.3V and 5V devices together without using a level shifter, for example.

I can’t see enough detail in the Fritzing diagram in the instructable quoted in the OP to fully understand all the interconnections but it appears (a) that the led has no current limiting resistor and (b) the purpose of the transistor is not very clear but could be an attempt to switch the data logger.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.