High level feasibility for Base station

Hey All,
I am looking for some basic guidance and examples for phase two of my project.
Phase 1
Raspberry Pi Wifi Model Rocket launch system (Complete)

Phase 2 Help please
I want to mount 4 small model rockets on a base that can pan and tilt to a remote GPS location.
I would like the coordinate to be automatic (2nd GPS over Zigbee ? ) and manual through Web interface.
GPS will calculate Bearing, and distance will set angle based on a table (Different rocket, different table). I would also like a camera on the base station with an OSD.

My overall goal is to land a rocket in a hula hop at the approximate distance of a football field. I will scale up from there.

Picture is example of phase 1

Thanks

Bump

If you fix the launch angle then what is the standard deviation of where it lands?

Do you understand how to calculate the launch angle from the range, and do you have accurate measurements for all the important parameters? If not, there are lots of on-line cannon shot simulators that might help you get started.

For a typical model rocket, air resistance will be very important and that makes range calculation a difficult problem.

If I am not mistaken, OP wants to use an Arduino to rotate and tilt a platform so that he can map target location with the orientation and tilt angle for the launch and maybe interpolate also. I don't know if OP wants a prediction of range or not.

Are you talking about Estes style model rockets?

If you’re using drogue ribbon or a chute for landing in the hoop then I’m struggling to see any success.
Even with no ejection charge and plugged end so the exhaust gases don’t interfere, I’ve launched a few in a row and all of them have landed in different areas of the field. There’s so much variation even with “identical” rockets.

Have you tried doing this manually before trying to automate any of it?

Hi TMorel, Yes and no, I will build my own based on Estes models (no Parachute or Ribbon). The rocketry forum does not like the approach of no parachutes i.e Missiles. This is just a fun project and I will adapt as I go. The enjoyment will be more in the learning and building then the actually results. I will start building small missiles shortly and see what kind of repeatable performance I can get. Wind is a huge factor so I'm not expecting finite results. It should look cool when it auto tracks to a new location and fires remotely. My original question is looking for examples so I can educate myself and start to purchase boards and equipment to start testing.

Another phase of this project may just be an auto adjusting base based on wind speed and and direction.

Thanks ALL

TMorel: Are you talking about Estes style model rockets?

If you're using drogue ribbon or a chute for landing in the hoop then I'm struggling to see any success. Even with no ejection charge and plugged end so the exhaust gases don't interfere, I've launched a few in a row and all of them have landed in different areas of the field. There's so much variation even with "identical" rockets.

Have you tried doing this manually before trying to automate any of it?

Hi Liudr, You are correct, I do not want to predict the range. I will build a table based on test results. 15 Degree = 300 meters 20 Degree = 250 meters etc...

I will use GPS coords to calculate distance thus setting angle.

Thanks

liudr: If I am not mistaken, OP wants to use an Arduino to rotate and tilt a platform so that he can map target location with the orientation and tilt angle for the launch and maybe interpolate also. I don't know if OP wants a prediction of range or not.

Sounds like a fun project. Lots of learning. At this stage, I dont know if anyone can recommend any specific hardware. When you have more specific requirements, ask again for what hardware and code to use.

Btw, did you use java or something to make your rpi control panel?

Thanks Liudr, I will certainly be asking for help when needed :).

Yes I used java and am also using WebIOPI for internet access.

liudr: Sounds like a fun project. Lots of learning. At this stage, I dont know if anyone can recommend any specific hardware. When you have more specific requirements, ask again for what hardware and code to use.

Btw, did you use java or something to make your rpi control panel?

cormad: Yes and no, I will build my own based on Estes models (no Parachute or Ribbon). The rocketry forum does not like the approach of no parachutes i.e Missiles.

Sounds suspiciously like a design for a weapon.

...R