High power arduino based access point?

Good morning all!

Working out a concept that will allow me to play around with "mapping" my parcel of land (planted saplings etc, food plots etc).

My question today is this; is there a way to use Arduino and a Wifi shield (or other component) to create a large mesh of access points in open terrain (without obstructions, each access point or "node" will have a self contained power supply backed up by a solar Panel) that could transmit a signal say 5-1km omnidirectional?

I plan to mess around some with WIFI RSSI/dBm conversion and gradually "map" the terrain in 2D, using each location set as a "map coordinate" eventually working into trilateration for generalized location tracking.

Speed is not an issue (as a simple ping should be about 28 bits per my research), power supply is not an issue (I can power it from anything such as a large marine battery down to a LiPo if necessary). By biggest concern is being able to create a large enough mesh with out needing an access point every 150-300 feet.

Per my experience in the drone world 5.8ghz is by far the best to go with, but I'm not objected to 2.4 if it's the only thing feasible.

Any help, pointers etc are much appreciated. I haven't messed around with Arduino all too much but have gotten my feet plenty wet with it.

ALSO - please no "just use GPS" comments. I'm actually trying to go somewhat old school, and design a product that does not require a GPS signal.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

Take some time and think about how you can avoid reflecting a signal from all the other antennas in the area. An antenna really does resend and RF it receives, however at a very low power. That is how Yagi antennas work. And you are going to have how many antennas?

Paul

Michibacy:
My question today is this; is there a way to use Arduino and a Wifi shield (or other component) to create a large mesh of access points in open terrain (without obstructions, each access point or "node" will have a self contained power supply backed up by a solar Panel) that could transmit a signal say 500-1000km omnidirectional?

You want a wireless setup with a range of 1000km ?

The OP did say "high power"...

aarg:
The OP did say "high power"...

I know, thats what worries me.

it would be a impressive 'parcel' of land though .........................

Pardon my my typo, I was headed to a doctors appointment and didn't proof read. 500m-1km only. I'm in farm country so I'll be working with some vast distances but not that vast. (OP corrected)

srnet:
You want a wireless setup with a range of 1000km ?

Typo sorry 500m-1km :slight_smile:

"Working out a concept that will allow me to play around with "mapping" my parcel of land (planted saplings etc, food plots etc)."

Without GPS how are you going to be able to physically "map" an area? Traditionally survey type equipment is used for mapping land areas. That being said, I'd look at getting a high powered router mounted on a tall tower/mast for the center point with wifi modules in the outlying areas. Also you might look at the LoRa systems below as they might fit your communication needs over a large area.

Michibacy:
I plan to mess around some with WIFI RSSI/dBm conversion and gradually "map" the terrain in 2D,

This worries me. RSSI is not a reliable way to measure distance. That's why people recommend GPS.

To be honest I don't understand why you would want to go to any trouble to build an Arduino based mapping system. In my mind mapping just needs to be done once.

...R

Michibacy:
I plan to mess around some with WIFI RSSI/dBm conversion and gradually "map" the terrain in 2D, using each location set as a "map coordinate" eventually working into trilateration for generalized location tracking.

Any help, pointers etc are much appreciated.

Under good reception conditions, clear line of sight etc, you need to check just how much does the RSSI vary for a static setpup, carrying out such a simple test like that is the first step really.

I would not be assuming that the RSSI of the chosen module has enough resolution, stability or linearality to be useful, without testing it first.

High power transmissions are fine, but what about the back-channel for handshaking and return data ?
Wifi requires two way transmissions.

Robin2:
. In my mind mapping just needs to be done once.

Perhaps it’s a very seismologically active area.