High-power Full-bridge clocksource.[Perhaps Silly]

Greetings,

I am in the process of designing a Full-bridge composed of CM600s, obviously, it will be switching lots of power, and I just got the silly, perhaps bright, idea of replacing a huge portion of the controller circuit with an Arduino that's going to do multiple things (Audio modulation, heat sensing, etc), here comes my question.

If I use the Arduino to drive the bridge, in a way that goes slightly like this.

....Arduino's output>Amplification>GDT>IGBT Gates....

Would it be reliable enough so things don't blow up and (hopefully) work efficiently? My frequency range is going to be from 1 Khz up to 250 Khz, I read some stuff around the web about the Arduino lacking the actual ability to be set to some specific frequencies, and some stuff about rounding, can someone (hopefully with experience) elaborate?

Thank you for reading.

Edit: The 4 Arduinos that are available to me are: Leonardo, Uno, Mega2560, Due.

I guess I don’t understand what you are proposing. If I Google “CM600”, I get clamp-on meters and sneakers, and a whole host of other things. I see nothing relating to what you are doing.

I assume you are using a full wave bridge to rectify AC. Is there something else?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: I guess I don't understand what you are proposing. If I Google "CM600", I get clamp-on meters and sneakers, and a whole host of other things. I see nothing relating to what you are doing.

I assume you are using a full wave bridge to rectify AC. Is there something else?

Paul

Google cm600 igbt gives

http://www.pwrx.com/pwrx/docs/cm600ha24h.pdf

Weedpharma

weedpharma: Google cm600 igbt gives

http://www.pwrx.com/pwrx/docs/cm600ha24h.pdf

Weedpharma

Looks just like some of the stuff I gave to a kid looking for electronic stuff on Craig's List. they came from a very large UPS we used to protect an old Pick-and-place machine. Ran off 48 volt battery (4X12). Input and output was 240 volts. And was a REAL UPS, live all the time.

To "JigglyHashtags", What are you suggesting is your project? Can you switch the devices at a zero crossing event? Do you need to switch at every cycle of your operating range?

Paul

Greetings,

My project is basically a glorified Fullbridge inverter, similar to this: http://www.renesas.eu/media/products/discrete/igbt/peer/Detopo/06_full_bridge.gif

Yes, ZVS (Zero Voltage Switching, which is switching when there is no voltage, which is what I believe you referred to) is possible, any actually, I'd like to implement that, if possible. :P

What do you mean with "switch at every cycle of your operating range"?

Thank you for reading.

"What do you mean with "switch at every cycle of your operating range"?"

I guess, since you are using it a full wave bridge, the switching will have to follow your varying frequency.

Paul

Greetings,

I believe that having the switching follow a specific frequency is a given,
So, would an Arduino be up-to-the-task?

I read somewhere that the Due should provide all the processing power and timing galore that’s necessary for it to be a good “frequency source”, not only that, but it would provide a very good base upon which I can add many whistles and bells to the control circuit, without dabbling too much with hardware, instead I’d dabble mostly in software, which I believe I am better at than hardware.

Opinions?

No?