High resolution stepper motor suggestions please

I'm looking for a high resolution stepper motor that can turn under a load of at least 400 grams.
What I'm doing would work perfectly with the 28-BYJ48 stepper motor at 4095 steps per 360 degrees however the torque is rather low.

Requirements:
Cheep, under $20 AUD
4 stage
Preferably small
Runs on 5v

Thank you for the help everyone!

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this thread...

There is a big difference between rotating a load on a turntable and lifting a load. Which do you want to do?

I think you will have a major problem with your 5v limit. Stepper motors work much better at higher voltages.

...R

I'll be using the steppers as wheels for a 3D printer I'm trying to design, build.
x axis has about 400gams to move up and down
Left, right has the same but it's not go as much force on it.
I can change the voltage if required :slight_smile:

You have to specify the torque that the motor must overcome - that depends on the load,
the drivetrain mechanics, mechanical friction...

For high angular accuracy you need either a low-backlash gear train with open-loop
control (stepper), or a high accuracy encoder and a servo-loop (not stepper).

Are you saying the x-axis is vertical? Do you really mean this?

Sorry, late nights early morning, I did mean the Y axis

I strongly suggest you use bipolar stepper motors and proper stepper motor driver boards. I have these motors and Pololu A4988 stepper drivers.

I chose the motors because I could afford them and they have enough torque for my needs. However higher current motors will (in general) work at higher speeds. And higher current motors would probably need more expensive stepper drivers.

Note that the voltage mentioned for stepper motors is largely irrelevant. It is the current that matters. The stepper driver board can be set to limit the current to suit the motor and thus can use a much higher voltage for better performance.

Also note that the holding-torque of a stepper is the stationary torque. It will be lower when moving.

...R

Aaron_1:
Sorry, late nights early morning, I did mean the Y axis

Same problem, Z is the vertical axis in CNC machines and 3D printers.