High school independent research project ideas

I'm hoping I put this in the correct area, I apologize if I didn't. I have been programming for a couple years now, and I have fallen in love with it. A few months ago, I found out about arduino. The physical world interaction makes me even more driven to learn as much as I can. I have been working on projects, and normally complete them, but the main thing holding me back from learning at my fastest is cost.

Today, I showed my java teacher what I've been building and the drawbacks ive been facing, and she told me about student government given grants. They will supply your independent research with up to 250$. This is the opportunity I need, but because it is the schools money, I feel like it should be either of interest to the school or in the schools name. So my question is, what project will give me the most learning potential, while being a worthy independent research project? Thanks!

So my question is, what project will give me the most learning potential, while being a worthy independent research project?

Where ever your "passion" is, is the best place to start: chemistry, electronics, robotics, astrometry, biology, environmental, solar, etc. Just be passionate and stay true to your interests... I guarantee you that if you are driven to make a difference, then you will have great opportunities to learn and grow.

Ray

...I feel like it should be either of interest to the school...

"Interest to the school"? It's an inanimate object. I doubt it is too concerned with your project.

You strike me as a very altruistic person. I suggest you find something that could benefit your community (I promise. Doing that will be a big hit with your school.) Some ideas... • Anyone you know have disabilities? Could the Arduino be used to automate a task that would help the person? • Any air pollution problems? Could the Arduino collect pollution data? Is the pollution higher / lower on certain days / hours? • Are you within a reasonable distance of any robot competitions? Or, do you have the time and energy to start a robot competition at your school? • Does your school have an auto shop? Could the Arduino be used to decorate (e.g. lighting), automate, improve, or monitor a vehicle? • Does your school teach art? Could the Arduino be used to animate or decorate an art project?

Look at project in which the components you use this year can be re-used next year. So robotics or anamatronics.

Mark

mrburnette:

So my question is, what project will give me the most learning potential, while being a worthy independent research project?

Where ever your "passion" is, is the best place to start: chemistry, electronics, robotics, astrometry, biology, environmental, solar, etc. Just be passionate and stay true to your interests... I guarantee you that if you are driven to make a difference, then you will have great opportunities to learn and grow.

Ray

Thank you, I have a big interest in programming, and a smaller one in circuitry (still trying to learn as I go). I was hoping to create something where I would learn as much as I could, and somehow benefit someone in the end. I wouldn't be so set on helping if it wasn't the school board's money being used.

needmorecowbell: because it is the schools money, I feel like it should be either of interest to the school or in the schools name.

It would be a good idea to ask your teachers, and the people who administer the grants, if you can find how to contact them, what sort of application they think would be suitable. They will have a far better idea then you what sort of guidelines you should be following, and that will give you a much better chance of your application being accepted.

Let me rephrase, the interest of the people giving me money so I can learn :slight_smile:

Thank you, I can only hope others think so as well. I agree that it would go over well, and that’s definitely what I’ll be doing. I am part of a club called buddy program, where we meet with a group of special needs kids our age and go out to do something with them. A lot of them go to my school, and I would love to help out, but I doubt that I could do much to aid them physically, my school fortunately takes great care of them.

The air pollution problem is very feasible, and I would likely be able to learn a lot. I would probably add to this if I was to do it and log temperature, noise level, etc.

I’m not that great of an artist, and we don’t have an auto shop, but those are both great ideas. This is exactly what I needed to help me out.

PeterH:

needmorecowbell: because it is the schools money, I feel like it should be either of interest to the school or in the schools name.

It would be a good idea to ask your teachers, and the people who administer the grants, if you can find how to contact them, what sort of application they think would be suitable. They will have a far better idea then you what sort of guidelines you should be following, and that will give you a much better chance of your application being accepted.

I agree, I'll be doing that tomorrow if all goes well. It is run by the student government, and not many people have ever applied. Thanks

needmorecowbell: I'm not that great of an artist...

Partnership / collaboration?

Some creativity and hard work is enough to be an artist (plus a pair of tweezers)... http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,159798.0.html

(There are lots more examples here.)