High Temperature Pin Headers

Hello Forum,

I am building an outdoor robot and I noticed inside the hull it can get very hot, I have seen temperatures up to 60c. I am worried about the integrity of headers for connecting boards together. I am unsure on the real name for them but when I refer to headers I mean the ones that are used everywhere like on the Arduino. Here is a link showing the type of headers.
Amazon.com: CH-IC DIY Soldering Kit Includes 4 Size(30 Pieces) Double Sided PCB Perforated Printed Circuits Boards,20 Pieces Male/Female Pin Header Connector and 10 Pieces Terminal Blocks: Home Improvement?

I don't want to hard solder all the boards directly together mainly for repairability, my question is, what type of connectors would be best suited for harsh temperature conditions? I am ideally looking for something with the same pin spacing so I can have different boards plug into each other, for example, soldering male headers to an Arduino to have it plug into a large protoboard that has other electronics on it.

Thank you!

Hi,
If you can solder to them then they should be okay at 60C.

Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your layout please?

Tom… :slight_smile:

So I am still designing the layout for this robot. I had an outdoor robot boat I made previously that experienced the extreme temperatures.

The first picture has the jumper wires, I am mainly concerned about the jumpers, mainly the female connector, I feel the plastic will warp and create a bad connection. The other picture I soldered the Arduino and sensors directly to the board, I want to avoid that so I can fix and debug it more easily. Ideally I would use the jumper wires but I feel they are susceptible to extreme heat.

Hi,
OPs pics.

Tom... :slight_smile:

arduinopi:
Hello Forum,

I am building an outdoor robot and I noticed inside the hull it can get very hot, I have seen temperatures up to 60c.

60C is nothing to worry about with electronics. You might see some shortening of lifetime of certain components, but its not a big deal. However if there are individual components that get hotter than that, they might be cause for concern (ie heatsinking).

Typically these types of connectors are molded out of Nylon. They should be good to slightly above 100 °C. If you are worried your parts are more heat sensitive, take a part and throw it in a pot of boiling water for 10 of 15 minutes and see if it retains its shape.

Most contact failures are due to movement. Be sure you use a fairly flexible wire and anchor the wires so the connections don't experience movement (or at least minimize any movement).

In a slightly related subject, if you find you need really flexible wire I found the wire to be great. There are well over 50 strands and the stuff is as limp as a noodle. flexible wire

Good luck

Most parts are rated to 85°C, indeed individual parts (power MOSFETs, regulators) may get much hotter. So this temperature is no problem as such.

At the temperatures you experience there must be quite some waste heat being produced by your robot. Some ventilation openings may be in order, or even a small fan for forced ventilation. That should help a lot keeping the heat down.

JohnRob:
Typically these types of connectors are molded out of Nylon.

Nylon covers a large variety of polymer and co-polymers - for electronics a high temperature version of nylon,
sometimes glass-filled, is usually used.

Nylon covers a large variety of polymer and co-polymers - for electronics a high temperature version of nylon,
sometimes glass-filled, is usually used.

From Tyco or Molex (etc) I agree. From China....not so sure.

I once tried a JST-XH from China in the reflow oven. It came out as a brownish blob.
I haven't burnt one yet so don't know what material it really is (you can tell from the smell).

Through hole components in general don't need to be as temperature tolerant as they are wave-soldered in
production after any SMD oven processing. Datasheets will incorporate temperature profile information for
SMT parts (though quite how you are supposed to use that information is unclear, since a board has many many
parts, perhaps all with slightly different profiles in the datasheets!)