High Torque Servo

Hi Gang

I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me? I’m wanting to connect a high torque servo to my Arduino Uno. In all the material I can find on the subject it suggests that a separate power source should be used for the servo however my preference would be to use just one power source. I was wondering if the following would be acceptable?

Cheers

Jase :slight_smile:

In all the material I can find on the subject it suggests that a separate power source should be used for the servo

Those recommendations caution against expecting the Arduino to provide enough current to power a servo. Powering the Arduino and the servo from the same power supply can work, but...

The power supply for the Arduino needs to be a regulated power supply at 5V, which is generally too low for the servo, or the non-regulated power supply for the Arduino needs to be at least 7.2V, which is generally too high for the servo.

Hi PaulS

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

In your block diagram, you show that you are using a BEC supplying 5 volts @ 3 amps. What I would do:

1. Use that BEC to supply the voltage to the Arduino.
  2. In parallel, wire a 6 volt BEC of suitable amperage to power the servo.

Hook the 5 volt BEC output to both the servo and the UNO; the UNO would be connected via the GND pin and +5V pin:

NOTE: This bypasses the on-board voltage regulator; if the BEC does not put out a well regulated 5 VDC (or your connections are reversed), you will likely fry the Arduino in some manner (one or more components).

Most servos (check your datasheet) need 4.8 to 6.0 volts DC - the higher the voltage (within these limits), the better the servo will perform (and if you are needing high-torque, this is what you want). Some servos can operate from higher standard RC voltages (typically 7.2 and 9.6 volts) - so if your servo can use one of those levels, you may not even need the BEC for the servo. Again, check the datasheet for the servo to find out whether this is true.

Hi cr0sh

Thanks for the reply. I'd not considered using two BECs.

Cheers