High torque stepper motor with Arduino Motor Shield V3

Hi,

I have a high torque stepper motor (42STH38-1684B - 1.8 Degree - 1.68A Stepper - 27:1 Gearbox - 3327_0 at Phidgets). its specification are are:

Phase 2
Rated Voltage 2.8 V
Rated Current/phase 1.7 A
Coil Resistance 1.7 Ω
Phase Inductance 3.2 mH
Holding Torque 30 kg·cm

i am planning to buy an Arduino Motor Shield V3 but not sure whether the motor will work with this. i have been trying with other driver but did not work.

i will appreciate if anyone inform me whether it will work or not.

Thanks,
Jahid

Firstly that's a low impedance bipolar stepper, you really need a high current chopper drive
for it, not H-bridges (very disappointing performance..).

Something like the DRV8825 or other high current chopper driver (Gecko drive?).

Which was the "other driver" that "did not work"? What supply voltage? What performance
do you want from the motor?

The Thread stepper motor basics may be of interest.

Don't use a motor shield. Use a proper stepper motor driver.

...R

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I used both DRV8825 and A4988 from polulu. But did not work. I contacted with them and send them my wiring and coding. i did everything they told me. but had no luck:(

My motor only works with this: PhidgetStepper Bipolar 1-Motor - 1063_1 at Phidgets. But as i can not control by arduino, it wont work for me.

My supply voltage was 12V, 5A current.

Thanks,
Jahid

jahidferdous:
I used both DRV8825 and A4988 from polulu. But did not work. I contacted with them and send them my wiring and coding. i did everything they told me. but had no luck:(

Based on what you have told us I see no reason why those drivers will not work (assuming, of course, that you have not damaged them).

Why don't you post your code and wiring diagram here.

...R

Hi,

I have been trying for almost two months with two A4988 and one DRV8825.

I am exactly following the wiring from pololu (Pololu - Alternative minimal wiring diagram for connecting a microcontroller to a DRV8824/DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier (full-step mode).).

my wiring pic is attached.

Here is my simple code that i am using which was given by polulu technical service:

int stp = 13; //connect pin 13 to step
int dir = 12; // connect pin 12 to dir

void setup()
{

pinMode(stp, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(stp, LOW);
pinMode(dir, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(dir, LOW);
}

void loop()

{
digitalWrite(stp, HIGH);

delay(500);
digitalWrite(stp, LOW);
delay(500);
}

Thanks,
Jahid

****Btw, does anybody know anyone who does consultancy for this kind of work?

I think your code should work OK but I would change this piece

digitalWrite(stp, HIGH);  

delay(500);
   digitalWrite(stp, LOW);
   delay(500);

to

digitalWrite(stp, HIGH);  
   digitalWrite(stp, LOW);
   delay(1000);

digitalWrite() is slow enough to give a long enough pulse and it will be easier to manage the time between steps if it is all in one place.

Your image is much too big to view conveniently. In any case a photo is pretty much useless for checking wiring. Just make a pencil drawing and post a photo of that - not bigger than 1280 pixels.

How are you powering the stepper motor?

Edit to add ... I meant to say to try a different pin instead of 13 (which is connected to the onboard LED).

...R

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I exactly followed the wiring as described here:

My power supply is 12V 5A DC. Meanwhile, i have changed the pin to 11 and arduino coding according to your suggestion. Still, no luck.

Regards,
Jahid

jahidferdous:
Still, no luck.

Post a photo of a drawing of EXACTLY how you have everything wired.

Are you sure you have not damaged the A4988?

...R