High Voltage swich with IR Sensor

Hello all,

I'd like to build a High Voltage swich that will light up a single one or several (light bulbs or Home made Led Lamp's ).
but let's focus on Led Lamp's (LL). I wanna connect the LL in that way that the LL will light up only if someone
interact with the IR Sensor but my problem is not that my problem is that I may use a High Voltage Power Supply
that will power up the LL but not sure what kind of circuit to build to be small enough and be able to connect one or
several LL's.
What exactly I need to be clear is a swich that will be between Arduino/IR Sensor and LL's something like
(small)High Voltage electronic Swich.

Any kind of ideas or suggestions,
ps. I don't wanna use Relay better something electronic that I'll be able easy to work with and interact with Arduino/IR-S.

DominoSixO.
U.P.R.F.

How high is this voltage?

The higher the voltage the more you need to worry disspating wasted energy, a switching regulator.. lack of info

Domino60:
I’d like to build a High Voltage swich

How many volts are we talkin’ about? Is it DC or AC?
And relays are pretty easy to use.

I take it you want to use mains power?

Well as I talked about LL's means they made of Leds I'd like to use a DC power.
About how high the voltage will be about from 12v to 50v (Max 80v) and 5~15A.
(depends on how many LL's I will install).

Oh and almost forgot, each HV switch will be connected only for one IR sensor and one LL, so because I may try other more powerful LL I'd like the max voltage and Amp of the circuit to be 50V & 10A.

Yes I know that with relay it's easier but I need something smaller I don't have big space to put them
and I'd like to be a electronic circuit to be easy to work with and connect with IR Sensor and program it as needed.

I'm gonna use a Power Supply or a High voltage battery to power them up.
ps. I'd like something small as possible and safe to use.

DominoSixO.
U.P.R.F.

DC means good news, instead using big relays you may use npn transistor with format to-220 which are smaller and easy too. Beware of amp capacity look for one which can support 15 A, 80 V and you'll need heat sink on it.

But transistors will be able to hold 24/24 with heatsink ?
What about the safety I need to be sure that I
have a safe circuit and will not end with fire after a while or a dysfunctional circuit that may burn my Sensors or microchip.

ps. I don't wanna start fire somewhere :smiley:

DominoSixO.
U.P.R.F.

Domino60:
But transistors will be able to hold 24/24 with heatsink ?
What about the safety I need to be sure that I
have a safe circuit and will not end with fire after a while or a dysfunctional circuit that may burn my Sensors or microchip.

ps. I don't wanna start fire somewhere :smiley:

DominoSixO.
U.P.R.F.

The answer is in the datasheet of those devices. There are the maximum rating, normal operation 24/7 and stuff.

That one looking good.

But what about the safety of the microchip, i mean how can i be sure if the Transistor fail
that the current will not pass and burn my microchip how can i build/create a safe circuit ?
Should i add few Diodes to be sure that the current go only in one direction ?

You can optoisolate your circuit its pretty easy. Between your microchip and the transistor use an optocoupler. It will be a communication bridge between both components and it will stop any damage.

1st time i hear about optocoupler really nice but i need something more simple.
I'm gonna use a single or dual chips so for each transistor I'll need a optocoupler
but that make the main circuit bigger and not as i expected.

Domino60:
1st time i hear about optocoupler really nice but i need something more simple.
I'm gonna use a single or dual chips so for each transistor I'll need a optocoupler
but that make the main circuit bigger and not as i expected.

My last tip. Optocoupler is the size of a very small coin http://www.sayal.com/images_c/DIP6P.JPG.
You seem kinda obsessed with size and yet want to manage 15 A and 80 V.
Good luck with that.

Well I'm gonna use a ATmega328p-pu to control several LL's so I'll need for each one a resistor that will be
activated with a IR-Sensor and i'll need for each Resistor a optocoupler i don't think that's the best idea
1st of all i didn't decided yet what kind of transistor to take O_o I heard about Moosefs transistors
but im gonna use a battery that have a peack or 1000A per few ms maybe burn by Led's xD
so nvm I expected something else but...