High Voltage

I have this circuit simulated on the computer:

(power source is 3 volts)

If the switch is closed, the inductor "charges", when it is open, it discharges. If it is charged for about 7 seconds, I can get upwards of 40kV on the load... So I thought I might build one. Power source is no problem, just 2 double a's.

Inductor is here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/90

I have switches. My question is: Does anyone know if and where I can find caps, resistors, and diodes that work at such voltages? According to the in-sim clock, the spike is only for about 1 millisecond, and then it dies down to ~3V from the battery. Any help? Is it possible?

No. Way.

The inductor stops being an inductor once it is "saturated" (cannot store any more energy). For the inductor you picked out, it is rated at 1.08A and probably has a resistance of about ~1 ohm (could be less...it doesn't say). Using the inductor equation V=L*dI/dt with two AA's (let's say 3V) and L=180uH the inductor will saturate in dt=L*dI/V = 60 microseconds.

Leave the switch on longer than 60 microseconds and you're just burning current (and burning out the inductor, and setting the batteries on fire, etc.)

-- The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

OK. But say I turned off the switch after 60 microseconds (using arduino+transistor)?

OK, you turn off the switch after 60 microseconds and stored energy in the inductor starts flowing to the capacitor and load.

Then what does your simulation (or intuition) say?

-- The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, light sensor, potentiometers, pushbuttons

I don't care what your circuit simulator says, there is NO way you are going to get 40kv across a 100ohm resistor from that circuit.

If it was capable of generating 40kv the instantaneous wattage W=VxV/R So would be 16E6watts Thats 16megawatts. Think about it !!

If you want to play with high voltage ringing circuits then google [u]tesla coil[/u] and you'll find loads of methods of generating high voltages

jack

True but a good circuit simulator would simulate a real inductor, not a theoretical one.