HM-11 stand-alone

Hey all I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s at all possible to use the HM-11 by itself and not with an arduino? As in being able to use the i/o pins on the HM-11 just like you would if using an arduino.

Pretty much all the tutorials I’ve seen so far all work with having an HM-11 + arduino.

I know using a ESP8266 you can use as a stand-alone without the need of an arduino but those are only WiFi and not Bluetooth.

The chip that the HM-11 module is based on is the TI CC2541. This chip includes an MCU, based on the standard 8051 CPU. As far as I know there is no Arduino Core for the 8051, so you won't be able to use the Arduino IDE to program it.

If you want a "standalone" module with Bluetooth, you could look at ESP32. These can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, although its still early days and there are probably still some wrinkles to be ironed out.

If your HM-11 is like https://www.robotshop.com/en/hm-11-bluetooth-40-ble-module.html then you need USB-serial converter to talk to it from your PC.