hmc5883L

Hi

In my project i am thinking to use HMC5883L to measure the rotation data.

In my case i will be using only rotation data.

can we measure the rotation using HMC5883L?

does HMC5883l works like MPU6050 gyro? because before i was using mpu6050 to measure the z axis rotation due to high power consumption in gyro now i am thinking to use HMC5883L. so i want to know does both have the same working principle for rotation data.

if no can someone please suggest me low power device to measure the rotation axis data.

Measure rotation angle or rotation rate?

About one axis only?

jremington:
Measure rotation angle or rotation rate?

About one axis only?

rotation rate on z axis

A magnetometer or compass is not intended to measure rotation rates, but with some difficulty, it could be used for very low rates.

The HMC5883L is no longer being manufactured. Beware of QMC5883 devices being sold as HMC5883L.

Why not tell us more about your project, so we can recommend a better approach?

jremington:
A magnetometer or compass is not intended to measure rotation rates, but with some difficulty, it could be used for very low rates.

The HMC5883L is no longer being manufactured. Beware of QMC5883 devices being sold as HMC5883L.

Why not tell us more about your project, so we can recommend a better approach?

project details is device should measure x axis, y axis and z axis rotation.

it will be used on the container cap. container cap is thread system so when some one wants to open the cap they have to rotate in that case sensor should read the rotation axis and should send the data using wireless device.

so i want the device which measures the rotations.

What happens if the container rotates?

jremington:
What happens if the container rotates?

even i was thinking this. so i was planning to conisder x and y axis when container rotates the x and y values changes. i that case if x and y changes then it will be considered as container is rotating not the cap. if z axis changes and x,y remains then it will be considered as cap rotating.

please correct me if i am wrong.

how about using LIS3DH ACELEROMETER? bause i am looking for ultra low power sensor.

Use a switch on the cap, mechanically arranged so that it does not draw power unless the cap is rotated relative to the container.

If you provide complete details, people could make more useful suggestions.

jremington:
Use a switch on the cap, mechanically arranged so that it does not draw power unless the cap is rotated relative to the container.

If you provide complete details, people could make more useful suggestions.

what kind of switch? can you please tell me some examples

The type of switch depends entirely on the details you have failed to provide.

jremington:
The type of switch depends entirely on the details you have failed to provide.

consider cap will be like thread system like usually will have for water bottle.

if we want to open the cap we have to rotate. device will be mounted on the cap so that when cap rotate the device also rotates, then if rotation value changes then buzzer turns on.