home alarm guidance

i am looking to build my home alarm system using arduino. this is not my main home alarm system, but if it proves to be consistent and solid then it will replace my old alarm at home.
Requirements are:
-have a keypad to enable/disable zones or service.
-optional send/receive sms
-enable/disable each zone or the whole service
-use 9 magnetic reed switches for doors/windows.
-send email on opening a door/window, unless the service is disabled, stating the name of the door or window that it is open. eg front door is open.

i have managed to connect a reed and when it is open i have a led to notify me. I would like to put all the above in action and have a go.

atux_null:
i have managed to connect a reed and when it is open i have a led to notify me. I would like to put all the above in action and have a go.

Do one thing at a time. And when you understand how all the pieces work separately then you start thinking abut putting all of that together. It sounds like you can read the reed switches. I would start working on a keypad next. Then it sounds like you want to start studying WiFi boards or GSM boards or something for the SMS and E-mail parts. Those are a little more complex. Once you understand all of the parts separately, then you can start to define how you want to put it all together.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Indeed i have the reed switches and i have the keypad already on. GSM is my main problem and the zones setup.

Wanna show us what you got so far? Would make it a lot easier to help you.