Home made gaming rig using Arduino. Is it possible?

I am relatively new to Arduino but I do computer science at school so I have experience with programming but I do not know what hardware to use as a simulator rig(steering wheel, joystick and control panel) a bit like the Seitek farming simulator rig but I do not have the money to buy it so I thought it would be good to make one my self using Arduino . If you have any pointers please feel free to share them with me. Thanks in advanced

The Teensy has a good library to act as a joystick. Up to 32 buttons and 6 axes is trivially easy to do.

The Micro and Due can also do it but it's not as simple.

The Uno can also do it. My fork from Google Code-unmodded You just need Atmel Flip and a jumper to reset the 16u2

Gamingjosh: I am relatively new to Arduino but I do computer science at school so I have experience with programming but I do not know what hardware to use as a simulator rig(steering wheel, joystick and control panel) a bit like the Seitek farming simulator rig but I do not have the money to buy it so I thought it would be good to make one my self using Arduino . If you have any pointers please feel free to share them with me. Thanks in advanced

Are you only making a controller? Not a whole game?

This is the Arduino you want -- page from Arduino site.

See the pins? It plugs into a breadboard if you want. You can also slide female jumper wire ends onto the pins with no need to solder, you can get DuPont (Ribbon) Cable jumpers with the ends you choose.

The USB connect with Arduinos whose chips have USB hardware built in is at full USB speed. The AVR core doesn't have to do the USB work, it will be faster. And... the 32U4 has 2560 bytes or RAM where the 328P has 2048, the extra 512 is just the size of a default USB/SPI/SD buffer.

If you buy from the site store then you know that you supported the software and forum as well. They want $25 for the board. I donated that much last time I updated my IDE, now that I can.

If you search for how to program mouse, keys and stick on Arduino then eventually you will get to PJRC. For about the same price as a Micro PJRC sells the Teensy 3.2 with pins and IIRC Teensy++ 2.0 with pins. PJRC gave the software that makes USB-HID programming on USB/Duinos (Leo and Micro) easier, much easier. The 3.2 is a 32-bit ARM board with chip junior to the Arduino Due. PJRC makes Teensy 2.0 and Teensy++ 2.0 boards with USB/AVR chips as well, the ++ has more features including 8K RAM... the 3.2 has 64K. You can still donate at the IDE upload if you feel guilty.

The USB/AVR chip lets your sketch change the mode without any run-this-mod-first. The

OTOH whatever you can run with an UNO you can run with a 328P and a few components on a breadboard, or with a NANO.

The Nano has a FTDI instead of a 16u2, so it can't emulate a joystick. UnoJoy needs the 16u2 or a 32u4.

Firmware only USB for AVRs.

Runs on any AVR microcontroller with at least 2 kB of Flash memory, 128 bytes RAM and a clock rate of at least 12 MHz.

HID examples page.

But it's a lot easier with a USB/AVR board.

Vusb is ancient. Last release December 12, 2012.

Somehow implying that it doesn't work?

It's been rendered unnecessary by cheap u32 boards that came out a few years ago.....

Doesn't the Arduino Esplora do a lot of what you want already? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/EsploraKart