Homemade board and problem with programming

Hi,

I’ve made board of my own which contains Atmega328P with RFM69hw with internal crystal. At first everything worked fine, I burned bootloader with no problem and programmed it successful few times. Then suddenly after uploading some example program it bricked. Now I am getting:

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

I had another board (exactly the same) and also I burned bootloader and programmed it with no problem. And after few times… I got the same error. What can be the problem?

PS: I was using Arduino as ISP as my programmer and tried with two different Arduino UNO boards.

You imply you are using a bootloader for uploading sketches. You state you are using Arduino as ISP as your programmer. Which?

I have programmed Arduino UNO with code from "File->Examples->11.ArduinoISP". Then connected it to Atmega through ISP.

//Edit

May RFM69 be that one which is causing problems? I read that it has problems with sharing SPI/ISP bus. So I added pullup resistor to NSS but still the same.

Atmega328P with RFM69hw with internal crystal.

The -328P does not have an 'internal crystal' ... it has a RC oscillator. If you are using serial to program the Atmega, the internal RC can drift too far for the upload to succeed. Use ISP instead, but that overwrites the bootloader everytime!

Ray

I used ISP (Arduino as ISP) to program it. Unfortunately this error from my first post appears.

voximdo: I used ISP (Arduino as ISP) to program it. Unfortunately this error from my first post appears.

I've built many homebrews in the past and even documented a few builds.

There is a lot that can go wrong with layout - the 16MHz crystal and 2x load caps with the Optibootbootloader is the most stable unit. The 8MHz build is far more problematic when a serial bootloader is used but it can work OK. But, while using more parts, I recommend newbies to go with the 16MHz build rather than the 8MHz

Ray