Homemade SMD Arduino

I've done a few homemade Arduinos on breadboards and PCBs but using the DIP 328.

Anyone point me in a useful direction or advise about using an SMD chip?

Cheers Alan

Who manufactures the boards for you ? OSHpark...? What are you going to do with the SMD arduino ?

Self made boards General development

Toner transfer ? Want it to function like the Arduino Pro Mini ? Did you look at the design files of Pro Mini or similar board ?

Not worried about making the board.

It's choosing the appropriate IC. There are quite a few different ones listed on the ATMEL site different post-fix identities - AU, AUR etc

Also the "China" ones on eBay are less obvious as they have different etched numbers such as 1518 or 1404 after the IC identity.

Any chance that some can be bought with the bootloader already installed?

Any issues with uploading a bootloader or is it the same as for the DIP version?

It'll be a bare bones version so most like the ProMini and will be programmed with connections to the RX/TX pins.

About choosing the part- The PU,AU,AUR indicate the package, look up the datasheet.

I don't know about any ebay china sellers,never tried ebay before.

Maybe some can have bootloaders already installed,but less probably

No issues while bootloading it. You get 2 more anaog pins with it

Pro mini is nice template to start with.

Couldn't find that info in the datasheet. What did you find?

AU = TQFP, PU = PDIP, MU = MLF (aka QFN) - It's in the datasheet where they describe the different part numbers and what they correspond to. It's some table near the back because it's not something you frequently reference (usually the vendor you're buying from has good enough ordering interface that you don't need to look at it, and it's rather long because it lists all the possible permutations, including temp ranges and stuff, not just package)

The 4 digit numbers you're talking about are date codes, for example, 1518 = manufactured in the 18th month of 2015. They are not part of the part number.

Good info. Thank you

(deleted)

I made a SMD version but am now useing these. I now make a mother board that these pug on to.

They come in both 5 and 3.3 volt versions.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Pro-Mini-atmega328-5V-16M-Replace-ATmega128-Arduino-Compatible-Nano-/200957063666

I have ordered maybe 30-40 Atmega 8, 88 and 328's from ebay and Chinese sellers. I haven't had one that has failed on me yet.

I would order them from the big suppliers but ebay 328's are about 1 dollar when you buy 5-10. I make sure to use ebay sellers that have good feedback.

I use them for homemade esc's and motors controllers like this, http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=380279.0

The cost to make that arduino/motor controller with digikey parts would be 10 dollars. With ebay parts its about 2.

I am not saying you can't get burned by chinese counterfeit items, but the mark-up digikey and mouser has on these things is really high. When I wan't a cheap brushless esc I would rather put one of mine together for a couple of dollars and take my chances on reliability, chances are its going to get smashed into a tree or driven through a mud puddle anyway.

Good info ALKA.

I love your motor controller

My China product experience has been pretty good... Just saying

alka: I have ordered maybe 30-40 Atmega 8, 88 and 328's from ebay and Chinese sellers. I haven't had one that has failed on me yet. ...

So far this is also my experience. I was initially cautious and ordered them from multiple sources. To date all failures have been my own not as a result of the uC itself. I can't comment on whether they're genuine or counterfeit but my presumption is also that I'm dealing with sellers who do not differentiate their pricing so much for hobbiest quantities as those bigger distis do.

Aside from the potential risk, another downside to the eBay sources has been the varied and in some cases careless packaging. But all have functioned so far. I did get some from Banggood when they had a 20-pack but that's not restocked of late.

The pro mini/nano are both very cheap, so I've not bothered to make up any of these as a consequence. Embedding an SMD Arduino onto the design once it's been prototyped with a pro mini/nano has been what I've been doing lately though.

acboother:
My China product experience has been pretty good… Just saying

As with the vast majority of us, particularly with the seller LarryD cites.

And given that, as he points out, why - unless you are going into full-scale production - would you want to assemble a home-made Arduino on a PCB or breadboard?

Paul__B: As with the vast majority of us, particularly with the seller LarryD cites.

And given that, as he points out, why - unless you are going into full-scale production - would you want to assemble a home-made Arduino on a PCB or breadboard?

It is because I have a cunning plan involving world domination which, for obvious reasons, I left out of the original posting.

I have a cunning plan involving world domination

|500x374

strykeroz: So far this is also my experience. I was initially cautious and ordered them from multiple sources. To date all failures have been my own not as a result of the uC itself. I can't comment on whether they're genuine or counterfeit but my presumption is also that I'm dealing with sellers who do not differentiate their pricing so much for hobbiest quantities as those bigger distis do.

Aside from the potential risk, another downside to the eBay sources has been the varied and in some cases careless packaging. But all have functioned so far. I did get some from Banggood when they had a 20-pack but that's not restocked of late.

The pro mini/nano are both very cheap, so I've not bothered to make up any of these as a consequence. Embedding an SMD Arduino onto the design once it's been prototyped with a pro mini/nano has been what I've been doing lately though.

Good approach. Do you use other SMD components such as the capacitors or oscillator?

My limited concerns with the China exports has also been with packaging.

DrAzzy: 1518 = manufactured in the 18th month of 2015.

I thought last year seemed to be especially long. (Sorry acboother, I couldn't help myself.)