Homing Beacon

I don't want to accidentally step on any FCC rules. But I'm envisioning a project that would emit a beacon, like the tracking collars they put on animals only no animals involved. Where can I go to learn what frequencies and powers I can legally use to do something like that?

The Arduino part of this project is what?

Delta_G: I don't want to accidentally step on any FCC rules. But I'm envisioning a project that would emit a beacon, like the tracking collars they put on animals only no animals involved. Where can I go to learn what frequencies and powers I can legally use to do something like that?

Google is always a good place to start.

Where can I go to learn what frequencies and powers I can legally use to do something like that?

Depends on which country you are in? can't see that in your profile...

Also important is the range/distance you need for your homing beacon 1 meter 1 km 1000km, lightyear ;)

Wifi frequencies are free to use (most of the time)

like the tracking collars they put on animals only no animals involved.

Aliens? like men in black 8) 8)

Delta_G: I don't want to accidentally step on any FCC rules.

No problem - the FCC don't have jurisdiction where I live.

No problem - the FCC don't have jurisdiction where I live.

Some other agency likely does.

PaulS: Some other agency likely does.

Hear that whooshing noise? That was my point going overhead.

Delta_G: I don't want to accidentally step on any FCC rules. But I'm envisioning a project that would emit a beacon, like the tracking collars they put on animals only no animals involved. Where can I go to learn what frequencies and powers I can legally use to do something like that?

RF and beacon would generally be a somewhat complex project.

PaulS: The Arduino part of this project is what?

It would be the thing I want to track. Really didn't see that coming did you?

I guess I could go to the farm supply and get one of the transmitters that hunters use to track their hunting dogs. But I really wanted to learn a bit about it. I've looked on the net but the laws seem confusing. I didn't know if someone might know a good resource on this singular subject I stead of wading through everything at once.

You could make a beacon with receiver out of a $10 pair of children's walkie/talkies.