Hook Up Servo to a L298N

Hey,

sorry from the beginning, i didn't found any topic that maybe answer my question...

My Question:

Is it possible to get power from a L298N for a Servo on the A, B Pins from the board?

Hook up + and - of the Servo to A B of L298N and the controllpin of the Servo to the arduino?

Why would you need an L298N with a servo. Servos have all their electronics inside them. You just need to connect the servo GND to the Arduino GND and the servo signal to the appropriate Arduino I/O pin.

I'm assuming the servo has its own power supply. Don't try to power it from the Arduino 5v pin.

...R

Pratical reasons.

i am powering the L298N with 12V, i want to use the excess power pin (5V) for the arduino, A1 B1 for DC motor and A2 B2 for Servo (but i also want to be capable to use the the controlling pin of the servo for moving) so i don't need another power source. Else i end up with 2 power soruces instead of one..
(the 5V of the arduino are used for another shield to power)
does that sound logical? :o

also i'm running out of ground pins and i'm not sure if i can hook up my shield and the servo on 1 ground

Check the datasheet ! (click !)

The answer is no.
Pin 9 (multiwatt) or 12 (PowerSO20) are INPUTS; you connect the 5 volt Arduino supply there.
They aren't power supply to external electronics.

Hmm, seems like i didn't understand what you were asking too.
The outputs are digital outputs.
If you supply the L298 with 12 volts, those pins will output something like 9 volts (twice the drop of a darlington transistor).
That's also true when you are controlling the motorspeed by sending a PWM signal to the Enable pins, although your multimeter will show some different voltage, that is is not what is actually happening.

You'd at least need a couple of capacitors to get something you have in mind.
I bet a better way would be to use a separate converter module, which can be had for a few bucks (really 2 dollars is about it).

Sorry my fault.

i dont mean the the chip itself, i mean the this bord (http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Modules-L298N-Dual-H-Bridge-Motor-Controll/) coming with the chip.

I hate that site.
I'm tempted to tell you to go and ask your questions over there, and wish you good luck with that.
But i already know that you won't be helped over there because they aren't capable.

Do you have a board like that ?
Can you tell what 5 volt regulator is mounted on it ?
It should be capable to supply at least 1 A.

shahabned:
Hook up + and - of the Servo to A B of L298N and the controllpin of the Servo to the arduino?

No, don't attempt this, you'll likely burn out the Arduino and servo.

Servo takes ~6V supply, ground commoned with Arduino.

MarkT:
No, don't attempt this, you'll likely burn out the Arduino and servo.

Servo takes ~6V supply, ground commoned with Arduino.

thx!