Hosting an actual Webserver?

My system is a datalogger which records data and outputs the file onto a webpage. Currently it works only on a local network with the address 192.168.1.1. how would i go about hosting an actual webpage that a user can access anywhere in the world? i cant seem to find any tutorials on this. so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great :)

thanks in advance

Currently it works only on a local network with the address 192.168.1.1.

The local area network must have a public facing IP address, if you are able, from other devices on the network, to access the forum or google or other servers. That IP address is what you use to access the Arduino. The router with that address will (need to) know that the Arduino is handling http requests for port 80 (unless you’ve changed the port).

You'd most likely need to make changes to you router to open and forward the 80 (HTTP) port to the 'machine/device' that is hosting the webpage and publishing the logged 'data'.

Its a common practice but you'll have to google the steps for your specific router.

If you happen to have an ASUS router, you can use ASUS' free ddns service and port forwarding to get outside traffic to your server. For example, my ESP8266 wifi web server is accessed via http://xyz.asuscomm.com:12345/ Where "xyz" is a name that I selected (not really xyz), and "12345" is the port number (not really that port, either). Using the router's setup, traffic on that port is forwarded to the ESP's local IP address (in my case, 192.168.1.120).

edit: I should add that I'm no expert on this subject, but the above works for me...

DaveEvans: If you happen to have an ASUS router, you can use ASUS' free ddns service and port forwarding to get outside traffic to your server. For example, my ESP8266 wifi web server is accessed via http://xyz.asuscomm.com:12345/ Where "xyz" is a name that I selected (not really xyz), and "12345" is the port number (not really that port, either). Using the router's setup, traffic on that port is forwarded to the ESP's local IP address (in my case, 192.168.1.120).

edit: I should add that I'm no expert on this subject, but the above works for me...

This will only work if your router has a public IP address. If you look at my logged IP address it is something like: 208.98.149.232. But alas, my routers external address is not the same. My service provider has internal NAT.

This means that I can configure as many port forwarding rules as I want, but none of them will accomplish anything.

But, it also means you have not Idea what my actual Router's IP address is. So, any IP scanning traffic cannot identify who I am just from my public IP address. I only 'own' 208.98.149.232:{random Port} for the duration of each individual transaction. My fellow 1k neighbors all share from a pool of public IP:Ports.

Chuck.

@chucktodd - How does a person in your situation set up a home web server?

@chucktodd i also want to set up a web server in my home and my router has also public ip adress can you help me in procedure of to set up a server.