Hoverduino? Data logging + LCD + Inputs?

I'm designing a data acquisition system for my school's ASME club hovercraft. I'm a novice with Arduino, but have some electronics knowledge, and it is usually not too hard for me to pick up. Here's my question - I'm trying to figure out a way to hook up the arduino uno to a datalogging shield, have a 16x2 LCD, and use 5 analog inputs, and 5 digital inputs and one digital output. Is this possible? I think I have enough pin outs, and we're only going to be sampling every 2 or 5 seconds and writing to the SD card. For analog inputs I'm looking at pressure sensor (for the hovercraft skirt), a pitot tube sensor (fan velocity), steering angle, and 2 axis accelerometer. For digital inputs I have a dead man switch (connected to digital output for engine shut off), 2 RPM sensors, and 2 buttons to change LCD display. Will this work? has anyone attempted anything close? How many dedicated pins do the datalogger shields need, and how many for a LCD display. I'd think with a low refresh rate i could get away with a shift register controlled LCD and use only 3 or 4 pins. But what about the Data Logger?

HELP! Thanks.

I’m trying to figure out a way to hook up the arduino uno to a datalogging shield, have a 16x2 LCD, and use 5 analog inputs, and 5 digital inputs and one digital output.

Which parts are proving hard? The shield only fits one way, so it is not likely to be the problem area.

Which specific LCD? Serial LCDs only take one pin. Others take between 6 and 20 pins.

Which data logging shield? What pins does it use?

Is this possible?

With the right hardware, yes. With the wrong hardware, no. Mostly, it is the LCD that will be the limiting factor.

Will this work? has anyone attempted anything close? How many dedicated pins do the datalogger shields need, and how many for a LCD display. I'd think with a low refresh rate i could get away with a shift register controlled LCD and use only 3 or 4 pins. But what about the Data Logger?

You could use OpenLog (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9530). It will take only 2 pins, Tx/Rx, which can be any pins with SoftwareSerial.

I should add another option for logging, that uses only 2 pins (SDA, SCL): the I2SD shield: http://timewitharduino.blogspot.ca/2011/10/i2sd-kit.html This board also has on-board RTC and infrared receiver for remote control.

Thanks for the tips. I think I have enough info now to order the two shields I need, I'll use the 2 pin data logging shield, but I'm still trying to figure out how many pins a LCD shield takes. I haven't ordered anything yet, but already have an Arduino Uno. I think I'm going to go with the second datalogger @florinc suggested, does anyone has recommendations for an LCD display, I only need text, a 16x2 would work, but 16x4 could be nice too. If I understand correctly, anything that uses a serial connection is just 1 output pin, and can be grounded to the data ground pin on the Uno (digital pin 14)

I'm also looking for suggestions for a air pressure gauge (barometer, to record the pressure under the hovercraft), air speed of the propulsion fan, and accelerometer. I just want to make sure I don't get duds or parts that are especially difficult to work with.