How Arduino deals with the heterogeneity of device?

Actually, i'm doing a thesis on "information discovery in IoT". My basic focus is on the issue of heterogeneity and enabling interoperability among devices. For that i'm using a use case of irrigation system. Can anyone help me in dealing with this issue?
Thanks!

How Arduino deals with the heterogeneity of device?

Basically it doesn’t, if you want to do that you have to write a program and then the answer is, however you want.

program in a sense? Any research paper you wanna recommend?

program in a sense

What does that mean?

Any research paper you wanna recommend

No.

Means, we can not actually define a standard to get rid of heterogeneous devices, right? And there isnt any other way to introduce this feature in Arduino, in terms of a code or anyother thing? Can you recommend me any research paper which dealt with this issue using a real-time usecase?

Grumpy_Mike:
What does that mean?
No.

alright, thanks!

Means, we can not actually define a standard to get rid of heterogeneous devices, right?

The Arduino is just a raw processor chip with only a bootloader as builtin software. You can put any software you like in one.

For all your fine sounding words you don’t seem to understand this.

Hi Manahil_Hassan,

Please explain your topic in plain English so we can understand exactly what you are asking. When you say "the heterogeneity of device" it sounds like an MBA student trying to impress their professors. Do you mean how does Arduino deal with the fact that inputs and outputs on various sensors and annunciators use different communication protocols, voltage levels and connection styles?

Just say what you mean rather than using marketing slogans, and we can give you better answers.

I'm actually so badly stuck in it, as I've been trying many things for the development but not getting any satisfactory implementation on my issue. i'm done with my initial implementation, and my smart irrigation system is working too. Bu when i think about integrating heterogeneous structure i got stuck, any other software on this?

Manahil_Hassan:
My basic focus is on the issue of heterogeneity and enabling interoperability among devices. For that i'm using a use case of irrigation system

I'm not sure what sort of level you want to discuss, nor how the Arduino and an irrigation system fit into that.

However, Arduino-based devices can communicate via standards such as WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee and wired serial data to just about anything else.

A lot closer to the electronics, an Arduino can use the I2C 'standard' to communicate with a colossal range of integrated circuits and modules to measure temperature, humidity, pressure... in fact just about anything you can imagine.

It is quite a simple matter to attach sensors and WiFi to an Arduino, publish readings to the 'web' and read the status of your 'irrigation system' on your mobile 'phone.

Yours,
TonyWilk

Manahil_Hassan:
Bu when i think about integrating heterogeneous structure i got stuck, any other software on this?

Without knowing what this "heterogeneous structure" is, where you got stuck, or even what your "initial implementation" is, there is no chance for an answer.

TonyWilk:
I'm not sure what sort of level you want to discuss, nor how the Arduino and an irrigation system fit into that.

However, Arduino-based devices can communicate via standards such as WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee and wired serial data to just about anything else.

A lot closer to the electronics, an Arduino can use the I2C 'standard' to communicate with a colossal range of integrated circuits and modules to measure temperature, humidity, pressure... in fact just about anything you can imagine.

It is quite a simple matter to attach sensors and WiFi to an Arduino, publish readings to the 'web' and read the status of your 'irrigation system' on your mobile 'phone.

Yours,
TonyWilk

Alright thanks, i got my answer, that Arduino isn't fit for the environment, i'm actually focusing on the environment where different devices are working from different application domains, and every device has their own multiple options for communicating with each other, As they have their own standards, i just wanted to gather them on a one single platform. Means i just want them to work in an interoperable manner i.e. "the ability to exchange usable data between two systems and to invoke their services using the appropriate input parameters”

e.g if i want to build a asthma control system, for a better understanding we take two sensors/devices at start, maybe your asthma gets trigger because of pollution, or any eatable. They both have different ways of describing their outputs. I want both of them to display their output in one single format, using same services and platform. That's how they will work in an interoperable manner.

My thesis is to discover the information from different sensors and then remove that heterogeneity issue from them. Devices should work fine in every way by defining a certain standard for them.

I guess, now you guys can get it, i hope so.

I explored FIESTA-IoT earlier, but i couldn't get it in a proper way. So, that's why i
m kinda stuck. If everyone have any idea of this domain like using different ontologies e.g FIESTA-IoT, Iot-Lite etc, kindly help me.
Thanks!

I think I get it. It's got nothing to do with Arduinos or electronics.

The problem is that you're mixing up "information" and "data". You're looking for information. Sensors provide data. Data is a representation of information, no more than that.

Sensors (and computers) exchange data without knowing what it means. It's you, the human, that interprets it as information.

wvmarle:
I think I get it. It's got nothing to do with Arduinos or electronics.

The problem is that you're mixing up "information" and "data". You're looking for information. Sensors provide data. Data is a representation of information, no more than that.

Sensors (and computers) exchange data without knowing what it means. It's you, the human, that interprets it as information.

Exactly, i actually wanted t convert that data into some useful information by applying semantic interoperability in such a way that every sensor's data should have a compliance with my system's standard.

You'll have some software writing to do, then, to get the data to your specific format.

And with that you also have the answer on how we deal with all those different devices on a daily basis.

Grumpy_Mike:
Basically it doesn’t, if you want to do that you have to write a program and then the answer is, however you want.

I think that's the best answer. Arduino or any uC is empty until you fill it with some code. Right now I have here an Uno with an I2C LCD, and a DHT temperature / humidity sensor. They are not compatible with each other: one's an input device, one's an output; they have different communications methods, they have different wiring.

The good old Input-Process-Output model from decades ago, gives us the answer. Read the input, Process it (my code gives min and max since power up), then Output it.

The input's taken care of by a library, the output by a different one. Two disparate devices are now interoperating (if there's such a word) by the intervention of some processing in the middle.

So the Arduino starts with no ability to manage interoperability, and ends with as much as you like (subject to memory size of course, and processor speed from a practical point of view.)

ChrisTenone:
When you say "the heterogeneity of device" it sounds like an MBA student trying to impress their professors.
Just say what you mean rather than using marketing slogans

I'm reminded of the guy who sent a covering note with a report to his boss: "Sorry my report is so long, I didn't have time to make it shorter."

wvmarle:
You'll have some software writing to do, then, to get the data to your specific format.

And with that you also have the answer on how we deal with all those different devices on a daily basis.

Umm okay. Do you have any idea about the ontologies that actually works for semantic interoperability? Because in my first part of the thesis i explored FIESTA- IoT but when it comes to implement such thing on my real time scenario i get no clue.

Manahil_Hassan:
Do you have any idea about the ontologies that actually works for semantic interoperability?

You do realise this is a hobby forum? And Arduino was invented to allow people from all walks of life, like artists, to give their art and other hobby stuff some life.

Some folk here may understand those words- I'm not one of them, inspite of being qualified postgrad in engineering- but you shouldn't rely on any that. It's coincidence if folk here come from walks of life where those words are in their vocabularies.

That said, ask away! If someone understands and answers, that's a result.

wilfredmedlin:
I think that's the best answer. Arduino or any uC is empty until you fill it with some code. Right now I have here an Uno with an I2C LCD, and a DHT temperature / humidity sensor. They are not compatible with each other: one's an input device, one's an output; they have different communications methods, they have different wiring.

The good old Input-Process-Output model from decades ago, gives us the answer. Read the input, Process it (my code gives min and max since power up), then Output it.

The input's taken care of by a library, the output by a different one. Two disparate devices are now interoperating (if there's such a word) by the intervention of some processing in the middle.

So the Arduino starts with no ability to manage interoperability, and ends with as much as you like (subject to memory size of course, and processor speed from a practical point of view.)

I'm reminded of the guy who sent a covering note with a report to his boss: "Sorry my report is so long, I didn't have time to make it shorter."

Just for your doubt on 'interoperability' word, Semantic interoperability - Wikipedia (go through this, thats what i actually want to do ) :slight_smile: