How best to control every part of a home (switches, sockets ,bulbs)

Hello y'all,

Great being here. I would like to control every single part of a home(like a 3bedroom apartment), I want to know how best to go about it using arduino as sample project. Please put in mind I am new in electrical electronic but fascinated about this project.

What I mean about every part of the home is all bulbs, sockets in and out. Would it be easy if I connect it to the junction box and control from there or what do you suggest I do. How feasible and I mean easy will this be . Thanks

Oh dear! :astonished:

Paul__B:
Oh dear! :astonished:

Is something wrong with my question

Bouss: Is something wrong with my question

Yes. You are new in electronics and you want to get your hands on junction boxes main voltage (110 or 220 Vac). That is not for beginners because of the risks.

Besides of the risks, this kind of projects are complex, you have to deal with networks, servers, lots of circuitery, app interfaces and so on, so it is a fun project, yes, but not easy at all. You should google up some examples by looking for "arduino domotics projects" to form your own idea of the complexity.

You learn the basics first, get an arduino book (tons in amazon) and start reading they are excelent.

Your best start might be to do a lot of reading using google searches and reading in home automation forums like below.

http://board.homeseer.com/

u can use es8266 module (it is 2$ or so) to connect ur devices to internet through ur access point in ur home then through the internet where ever u go u can control them

Okay… Thanks. Any other information will be very helpful.cheers

The words "new" and "electrical" in the same sentence rightfully send a feeling of fear though our bodies.

The voltage you want to control is lethal. That is why we do not want to give advice on connecting to it. If you make a mistake following our instruction, it reflects back on us. Oh, as well, it may kill someone.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: The words "new" and "electrical" in the same sentence rightfully send a feeling of fear though our bodies.

The voltage you want to control is lethal. That is why we do not want to give advice on connecting to it. If you make a mistake following our instruction, it reflects back on us. Oh, as well, it may kill someone.

Weedpharma

Not to worry I won't be the one making the connections. Just want to understand the principle behind it and how possible it is. I will be using an experienced technician, I want understand what i am embarking on so not the confuse the technician. I hope you do understand.

A few years back I would have suggested X10. There is a X10 library for the Arduino.

I will not suggest how to connect the circuit but will suggest the easiest way would be with SSRs across the switches. This will not allow turning the light off if the switch is used but is the easy way of turning things on.

You need to work out what and how and under what circumstances your circuit operates an output.

Do you want to turn on something at a particular time? Needs an RTC.

Do you want temperature control? Requires temperature sensors. Etc.

Start you program simply. Read a sensor and turn on an LED. Add another sensor and LED. Connect a RTC and turn on your LEDS at particular times.

After you get each section going, save that separately as you will need to go back and start again occasionally.

Weedpharma

try using relay !! it will be the best option for u.... before starting your project make sure you are using the relay of proper ratings.

And your reason for relays as opposed to SSRs is?

Weedpharma

Staples Connect, local Staples has show room will control every part of a home (switches, sockets ,bulbs)...

Home Automation System - Staples Connect