How can I find a object in a room?

Hi guys, I am new here. Let me introduce myself: My name is Vloda, I am from Germany (Sorry for my bad english). I am 21 and... oh, you probably want to know more about my project. But first a little introduction.

A few weeks ago I bought my Arduino Uno (R3) with a breadboard and a few sensors, a LCD, a servo, etc (starter set) but did not have enough time to get into it. Then, a few days ago, I did all the tutorials, that were possible with my sensors and actors provided by the Arduino Website. After that I changed them a bit and wrote little programs like the following: If you press a button, a piezo makes S.O.S. sound, etc.

After that, I had an idea for my first "real" project but unfortunately I am new in the field of electronics and have no idea what to start with: I want some sort of sensor (more than one maybe?) that can either tell me where a chip attached to i.e. my pet, my wrist, a R/C car, etc is. Or that can set of an alarm (LED, piezo, etc) when the chip gets too close to the ground.

So basically it is like a mini-triangulating-radar-thingi.

Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance. Kind regards Vloda

That's a tough one. Really need an emitter on the object to be tracked, RF would be best so line of sight is not needed. Then the receiver has to be able to scan up & down and left & right to find the best signal strength to determine when it is pointing at the object directly.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

How accurate are these RF receivers? Lets say I want one of these in more than one room, would I need a "set of receivers" in every room? Or are they strong and accurate enough to work through walls?

RF can penetrate walls. If there are reflections, steel in the walls, kithchen appliances, then who knows. The receiver - would need one in each room to track transmitter (emitter) that was moving around.

Sounds good. I just read a few articles about RF. Do you know how likely it is, that other signals interfer with "my signals"? Is there any source of information about small range RF radar or similar?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it :)

I want some sort of sensor (more than one maybe?) that can either tell me where a chip attached to i.e. my pet, my wrist, a R/C car, etc is

Fairly frequent type of request. Unfortunately I haven't seen any methods that are cheap and easy to accomplish the project.

CrossRoads: That's a tough one. Really need an emitter on the object to be tracked, RF would be best so line of sight is not needed. Then the receiver has to be able to scan up & down and left & right to find the best signal strength to determine when it is pointing at the object directly.

Just a WAG, but you remember the things you attached to your key ring and when you clapped they would make a howling sound to tell you where you had left your keys (usually, down the back of the sofa :) )? I've no idea what chip was in them, but if you could get similar chips that put out ultrasound instead of the 'howl' you could, perhaps, use those instead of RF. They would be fairly immune to interference, unlike RF where we all have several RF transmitters around the house (WAN, wireless doorbells, wireless thermostats, etc., etc.) and would also, like RF, not need to be line-of-sight. The drawback would be that your dog or cat wouldn't be too pleased :astonished: