How can I find the "real" boards.txt file?

. I have 1.01, ERW 1.03, 1.04. 1.05 and Ver. 1.54 installed on a 64 bit Win7 Ultimate box and I use ERW 1.05 and Ver 1.54 exclusively. I need to update the boards.txt to include the Maniacbug/Bobuino boards data. I did a search and found 37 boards.txt files.. I did edit the 1.54 AVR boards.txt and what I thought was the ERW1.05 (in the 1.05 folder) boards.txt.. but no joy. I thought I could just open the IDE's and find the data there however the changes I made in the boards files found in the "correct" locations don't show in the respective IDE's boards option drop-down menu. I did remember to have all instances of the respective IDE's shut down before I did any "editing" One more question Re the IDE's: Is it possible just to delete the respective folders 1.05 and 1.54 and just re-install them... This might be a cleaner method, Preferable because I'm short on space in the main drive as well.

Doc Edited due to lack of interesting title... Doc

If you can't write a descriptive subject line, your chances are slim.

@ZoomcatI think your message while perhaps on point is a waste of space and my time as well as yours... A negative "complaint" does little to solve the problem... however it does raise your post count, Was that your intention?

Doc

Docedison: @ZoomcatI think your message while perhaps on point is a waste of space and my time as well as yours... A negative "complaint" does little to solve the problem... however it does raise your post count, Was that your intention?

Doc

Just helping you sort your thoughts out. Try #6 below.

I see you went back and edited your post from "How can I" to the full subject line. Why? 8)

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

Each copy of the IDE should contain one file named boards.txt. In older IDE versions is was in hardware\arduino\boards.txt relative to the IDE installation directory. In my 1.5.5 installation it is in hardware\arduino\avr\boards.txt.

I am surprised that you have so many different boards.txt files, but if you're using any recent version of Windows Explorer Search to find them I wouldn't be surprised if the search results were complete b*ll*x.

One possible issue if you start deleting IDE installations is that you might accidentally delete the USB drivers that are being used. You could use the hardware manager to see what driver files are currently used for your Arduino devices. On my WIn7 installation, the driver files are in system32 so there would be no problem removing old IDE versions.

On linux the 1.5.x distributions have exactly two boards.txt files, one for avr and one for sam. They are both read to compile the boards menu list. And yes they are in the places mentioned above. I've no reason to suspect Windows is different.

As I mentioned beore I have edited all the (I think) pertinent files with the IDE closed as I read the Forum, is a necessity. When I open 1.05 or 1.54 I cannot see any difference. This is what led me to ask the question in the first place. I edited the 1.05 file here : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\ERW 1.05 to reflect the data necessary to recognise and use the maniacbug/Bobuino board. This was found in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\Arduino ERW 1.0.5\hardware\arduino\boards.txt after I renamed the old file to boards_OLD.txt. I copied the contents of the renamed file and added the entry for the 1284P and saved it as boards.txt. Restarting the IDE provided no joy... No change. I located the 1.54 installation and navigated to the AVR equivalent: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\hardware boards.txt and did the same... With the same results. No entries for the maniacbug or Bobuino under the AVR heading of boards.txt.. Perhaps I made an error in placing the new entry at the top of the boards.txt file but since the version I use doesn't scroll the boards menu I have no way of determining whether the entries are there or not. In my reading I am unaware of any hierarchy involved in the Ver 1,54 boards.txt file. I will freely admit that I really didn't look but I saw no reason at that time to do so... This is perhaps the hidden part of my question, I had hoped that 'someone' might ask or point out my error in not reviewing the whole boards,txt file for the proper location or whatever I missed. Instead I got dunned for not being sufficiently creative in my choice of subject..

If you can't write a descriptive subject line, your chances are slim

does very little to answer the question. I rarely ask questions, usually I can find the answer by a simple search or remember reading of it in this forum... I'll freely admit that I haven't read the Due section in several days... But in my readings of that section, little changes from day to day... except the date.

Doc

I use doesn't scroll the boards menu I have no way of determining whether the entries are there or not.

Does the entire Boards list normally fit on the screen? Or does the list touch the top and bottom of the screen?

It does touch top and bottom, My thought was to rename it again and recopy it as boards.txt and remove all but the small handful of boards that I own or intend in the near future to acquire. This to see if the boards are listed but hidden bu a small ‘bug’… in the IDE framework common to both 1.05 and 1.54… If for any reason that is an issue, I’d like to hear about it. it seems simple enough, perhaps too simple and I suspect that I could remove ‘congestion’ in a similar manner in my 1.54 installation with the same process.
Simple because a few keystrokes can undo anything not quite forward.
I got a little ahead of myself
Doc

Docedison: It does touch top and bottom, My thought was to rename it again and recopy it as boards.txt and remove all but the small handful of boards that I own or intend in the near future to acquire.

That's what I do. I typically end up with about six total board entries. For what it's worth, I name the other file "Prospective Boards.txt".

Ah,Ha... Thank You, Sir..

Doc

Maybe there was something wrong with the entry you added that caused the IDE to reject/ignore it? Now you know which file the IDE should be using you could try locating an entry in the file that corresponds to a board type you can see in the menu, and just tweak the display name slightly to check whether this file is the one the IDE is using.

The entries for the 1284 boards are typically in a separate boards.txt file in the mighty1284 folder; IDE1.0.x made changes (compared to -0022) to allow that kind of separation.