How can I know the frequency of a RF module of motorized blind ??

Hello, I would like to know the frecuency of a RF module that its inside of a blind engine.

On the remote control puts nothing and out of the engine, the same..

My idea is to control the blind with a rf module, but there are two possible frequencies, 315mhz and 433mhz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/315Mhz-WL-RF-Transmitter-Receiver-Module-Link-Kit-for-Arduino-ARM-MCU-Wireless-/190938367165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c74d044bd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-WL-RF-Transmitter-Receiver-Module-Link-Kit-for-Arduino-ARM-MCU-Wireless-/380717845396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a48d4b94

How can I know the frequency of the module thats inside of engine??

Thanks and regards :)

Borrow an RF scanner or spectrum analyser?

No, sorry....

I'm in the USA. Here the term "engine" means "internal combustion engine" like the kind in an automobile. Are you talking about an electric motor ? Start at the beginning . What are you talking about ? (remote control RC car etc etc ) What does "blind' mean ? (exactly) I have no idea what you mean by that. this:

On the remote control puts nothing and out of the engine, the same..

doesn't make any sense. Can you explain it another way ?

Hi Raschemmel :) Take a look:

This is one engine inside the axis of the blind, right??

This engine we can control it (Up, down and stop) with this RF remote (The right remote is that I have):

That works at frequency X and I would like to control the engine with rf modules and arduino..

Modules are 315 and 433.....The question is which I have to buy if I don´t know the right frequency of the engine...

I hope you understand me..

Regards :)

There are more than 2 possibilities. Could be either 315 or 433 Mhz, but could also be AM or FM. You need some kind of scanner to tell the differance.

You mean a motorized Venetian blind for a window ?

Again I am going to ask you. by "engine" do you mean electric motor ? (that's what they're called in the USA. No one calls them "engines" in the US. Where are you from anyway ?

Without knowing the exact frequency of your remotes, there's no way to know what frequency the receivers are on inside the blind. You may not be able to use those circuits unless you use the remote that came with them and use the arduino to close the contacts on the remote. Remove the cover of the remote and take a photo of it showing the switch contacts and post the photo.

Again I am going to ask you. by "engine" do you mean electric motor ? (that's what they're called in the USA. No one calls them "engines" in the US. Where are you from anyway ?

What is your problem? It is completely obvious that that OP is referring to the motor + controller in the blind. That has nothing to do with the OP's question, which concerns radio frequency the remote controller uses.

Unfortunately, no responders in the forum have enough information to answer that question.

mauried: There are more than 2 possibilities. Could be either 315 or 433 Mhz, but could also be AM or FM. You need some kind of scanner to tell the differance.

Pufff.....I did not think, mauried :( I don´t have a scanner and I don´t know anyone who has one..

raschemmel: You mean a motorized Venetian blind for a window ?

Yep :)

raschemmel: Again I am going to ask you. by "engine" do you mean electric motor ? (that's what they're called in the USA. No one calls them "engines" in the US. Where are you from anyway ?

I think it is "electric motor", but "engine" also its a motor in English language (I´m spanish, raschemmel :) )

raschemmel: Without knowing the exact frequency of your remotes, there's no way to know what frequency the receivers are on inside the blind. You may not be able to use those circuits unless you use the remote that came with them and use the arduino to close the contacts on the remote. Remove the cover of the remote and take a photo of it showing the switch contacts and post the photo.

I have thought this but I expected that we could know with some cheaper method than buying a scanner.....

If I remove the cover, I break it (No screws, all with pressure..I've tried and it has been marked by the screwdriver..Very thin screwdriver)

jremington:

What is your problem? It is completely obvious that that OP is referring to the motor + controller in the blind. That has nothing to do with the OP's question, which concerns radio frequency the remote controller uses.

Unfortunately, no responders in the forum have enough information to answer that question.

Yes, the question is about rf of the module inside the electric motor, and I put a thread because I have not found information about..

Thank you all for your answers, but like Mauried said, there are 4 possibilities...315, 433, AM and FM..

The only thing I can do is open the axis and remove the motor to see if there is any adhesive that tell me what I want to know or the brand of manufacturer.....

Thanks all :)

For a cheap radio scanner buy something like this. The R820T chip inside is capable of approximately 25MHz-1750MHz range so will be fine to determine the frequencies your interested in.

Riva: For a cheap radio scanner buy something like this. The R820T chip inside is capable of approximately 25MHz-1750MHz range so will be fine to determine the frequencies your interested in.

Hi Riva, but, this isn´t a tv turner ??

:astonished:

You think it will help me..?? (I don´t know if this will help me, for this I ask you..)

That is advertized as a TV tuner so I don't know why it is being recommended as a scanner.

The territory you are in will give a clue, for instance 315MHz is not legal in the UK,
whereas 433MHz and 866MHz ISM bands are.

Can you tell the OP how the device linked can tell him the frequency of the signal used in his blinds ? ( I can't)

Raschemmel, I think that MarkT give us a clue:

MarkT: The territory you are in will give a clue, for instance 315MHz is not legal in the UK, whereas 433MHz and 866MHz ISM bands are.

Here in Europe it´s 433 Mhz and I think (I'm not sure) that in USA it´s 902 Mhz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

Then I'll try with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-WL-RF-Transmitter-Receiver-Module-Link-Kit-for-Arduino-ARM-MCU-Wireless-/380717845396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a48d4b94

Before disassembling the motor, I think is the best solution (1.28$)...

I said !! I try !!

Consumer products like the blind are likely to operate on more than one channel in that band otherwise a customer could only own one per house, which is not a good business model. The product had to have been designed with idea that a custormer could upgrade ALL of the blinds in his house to motorized, meaning there must be more than one channel and there must be a dip switch somewhere to select the channel.on the blind and the remote, similar to the way wireless speakers or security cameras work.

Can you tell the OP how the device linked can tell him the frequency of the signal used in his blinds ? ( I can’t)

It’s essentially a SDR (Software Defined Radio) and it most certainly can be configured as a scanner.

Don

raschemmel: Can you tell the OP how the device linked can tell him the frequency of the signal used in his blinds ? ( I can't)

As floresta has pointed out the DVB TV tuner can be used as a software defined radio (SDR). Adafruit have a nice little write-up on using one here. The dongle design they use is different but the important parts are the RTL2832U and R820T chips used inside. I have one and it works really well with SDR-Sharp software for analogue signals and you only need it to determine the frequency in this case. I have yet to find good digital capture/decode software though.

raschemmel: Consumer products like the blind are likely to operate on more than one channel in that band otherwise a customer could only own one per house, which is not a good business model. The product had to have been designed with idea that a custormer could upgrade ALL of the blinds in his house to motorized, meaning there must be more than one channel and there must be a dip switch somewhere to select the channel.on the blind and the remote, similar to the way wireless speakers or security cameras work.

Hi, the upgrade only is for the others remotes..Mine isn`t upgradeable..If I want another motorized blind, give me another remote control.....To see if have dips, would have to disassemble....

floresta:

Can you tell the OP how the device linked can tell him the frequency of the signal used in his blinds ? ( I can't)

It's essentially a SDR (Software Defined Radio) and it most certainly can be configured as a scanner.

Don

Ah ok !!! It's that I did not understand xDD

Will look to see....

Tx to all :)