How can I make or find the content of "boards.txt"

Hi, I've just started studying Arduino.

I'm trying to add new AVR board to IDE. I did as below link.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CustomizeArduinoIDE

In case of the core is new, how can I find values for them?

uno.name=Arduino/Genuino Uno

uno.vid.0=0x2341 uno.pid.0=0x0043 uno.vid.1=0x2341 uno.pid.1=0x0001 uno.vid.2=0x2A03 uno.pid.2=0x0043 uno.vid.3=0x2341 uno.pid.3=0x0243

uno.upload.tool=avrdude uno.upload.protocol=arduino uno.upload.maximum_size=32256 uno.upload.maximum_data_size=2048 uno.upload.speed=115200

uno.bootloader.tool=avrdude uno.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF uno.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDE uno.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05 uno.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F uno.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F uno.bootloader.file=optiboot/optiboot_atmega328.hex

uno.build.mcu=atmega328p uno.build.f_cpu=16000000L uno.build.board=AVR_UNO uno.build.core=arduino uno.build.variant=standard

And I have one normal FPAG board which has zynq FPGA in it. It has ARM cortex A9 inside the FPGA. How can I use that board like an arduino?

For adding a new AVR board - I found most of the options self-explanitory, using the existing ones as a base. Are there some values you're confused about? Which AVR board are you trying to add?

There may be a "core" available for it that includes boards.txt. You may need a custom core in any case, depending on what chip you're working with.

For the FPGA, you're probably out of luck The reason you can add new AVR-based boards by changing boards.txt (or boards.txt and adding something in variants) is that all the hard stuff is already done. The AVR chips are all pretty similar, so you just need boards.txt (and maybe a new variant) to tell it how to do that. The core (the core is the implementation of functions like digitalWrite() and stuff), the build tools, and the upload tool are the same as are used with all the other AVRs.

For the FPGA you're talking about, you would have to create all of those things... Unless, of course, someone else has already done it, in which case you should look at what they did.

Hi, Thank you for your help. My final goal is using Xilinx ZC702 board like an arduino.

I have Arduino uno and Arduino ethernet.

I don't know about below bootloader values. How can I find this values for other cores if I trying to add it by myself?

uno.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF uno.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDE uno.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05 uno.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F uno.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F uno.bootloader.file=optiboot/optiboot_atmega328.hex

AVR fuses: here

The fuses discussed in Arduino terms are Atmega'centric.

Just my opinion, you don't have a snowball chance in hades of programming the Xilinx under Arduino... but, I like folks with loftly goals; good luck.

Ray

zynq FPGA ... It has ARM cortex A9 inside the FPGA. How can I use that board like an arduino?

boards.txt is the least of your worries. First you need to write the "core" software that implements all the functions like digitalWrite(), which is mostly dependent on how your chip's peripherals are defined, rather than the core architecture. Then you can worry about integration with the IDE (which includes boards.txt, but also compiler and linker scripts and the like. Finally, there's a long tail of trying to make compatible libraries...

you don't have a snowball chance in hades of programming the Xilinx under Arduino

It does sound that way. The first step of implementing a new board is understanding how the current boards are implemented. Implementing a board "from scratch" (as opposed to modifying something that is very close to an existing board) requires a deeper understanding (of both the new board and the existing frameworks.)

To mrburnette, Thank you for the AVR fuses link. Isn't there for ARM cores?

To westfw, Thank you for reply. I know I should make a package for another board and core. I'd better find another way.