How can I power 5 servos with 12V adapter?

Hi everyone! First of all I would like to apologize because I know this has been asked in many different ways, and I have read many posts about this, but I still can’t figure it out. I am very novice with Arduino and electronics, but still two friends and I were assigned this semester to build a robotic arm.

After many struggles, we were finally able to build it. It has 3x MG996R servos and 2x SG90 servos. Directly with the Arduino we were able to test one by one the servos, but we can’t power them up all together just with the Arduino (at least we know that, haha).

We have a 12V 2A wall adapter, so we were wondering if there is any way we can power these 5 servos and the Arduino with this wall adapter. If it’s possible, could anyone please tell us how can we achieve this connection? The Arduino uses 5V and the servos 6V, so it’s very confusing for us.

If anyone could help us with the connection details, we would much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tip or guidance anyone can give us with this.

You have to see how much your servos consume in term of current.
If for exemple they consume 1A each and knowing that you have a max current of 2A, it is impossible to power up 5 servos I=5*1A=5A + current consumed by arduino about 50ma .
So what I suggest is that you use 2 or 3 power supplies 2A each.

CHEGGARI:
You have to see how much your servos consume in term of current.
If for exemple they consume 1A each and knowing that you have a max current of 2A, it is impossible to power up 5 servos I=5*1A=5A + current consumed by arduino about 50ma .
So what I suggest is that you use 2 or 3 power supplies 2A each.

Thanks, the bigger ones consume a max of 900mA, but they won't be used simultaneously, only one works at a time to move the robotic arm in different axes, so I guess 2A could be enough. However we don't know how can we make a succesful connection :frowning:

You need either a 5 volt AC adapter or a switch mode power supply to buck your 12V down to 5V for the servos.

There are, of course, cheaper lower cost alternatives, just remember, you get what you pay for. :slight_smile: