How can i put a camera image in a 2d array?

Ok so hears what I wanna do. I want to take the images from a camera and place them into a 2d array one at a time so that i can write a program to attempt to identify different shapes. I haven't been doing programming for long. But i would assume that i could send a signal to the camera, then get back a value for colors or grey scale then place that value into an array one at a time and go from there. Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

It is probably way beyond the practical power of an arduino unless the image is very small and simple.

Yes i only need like 1000 or

You might find info if you Google for OCR code to see examples.

I did something similar for an image database. Basically it stored the average RGB colour + a variability factor for each of the colours. Using these 6 fields to sort the images made it immediately obvious where duplication had occured. Even if the duplicates are resized or even rotated.

Don't think there's much point doing this on an arduino though.

Python (running on a PC, of course) has some simple functions to do what you want.

djshepherd1: Yes i only need like 1000 or

There isn't room for 1000 on an Arduino.

...R

There isn't room for 1000 on an Arduino.

int val = 1000;

Lots of room... 8)

Even

byte twoD[1000][1];

will fit on most Arduinos.

OP did not bother to say what that 1000 value represented.

OP, if you think you are going to store 1000 images on the Arduino, I'm afraid you bought the wrong hardware. Dell makes the right hardware, with big monitors, big hard drives, and lots of memory.

PaulS: Lots of room... 8)

I'm glad you included the smiley

...R

OP did not bother to say what that 1000 value represented.

That is a problem. Maybe it is an array of 1000 bytes that represent grey scale values in an image.