How can I READ from Samsung Smartthings sensors?

Hi,

This is kind of the reverse of what most people want to do with Smartthings. I'm not interested in talking to the hub or their cloud. I want to use their sensors (Temp sensor in particular) and read its data stream.

I tried searching these forums, hackster, instructables, etc. but haven't found a way to read sensor data.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

IraSch:
Hi,

This is kind of the reverse of what most people want to do with Smartthings. I'm not interested in talking to the hub or their cloud. I want to use their sensors (Temp sensor in particular) and read its data stream.

I tried searching these forums, hackster, instructables, etc. but haven't found a way to read sensor data.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Join their developers website https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com

Join their developers website https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com

I did. Unless I missed it, they only talk about integration with their hub or cloud, and using their IDE. The section on hub-connected devices (which I'm guessing is what I'm looking for) says "Coming Soon". Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

I want to be able to read data directly from their temperature sensors using an Arduino or ESP8266. I expect I'll need some kind of compatible RF receiver, but can't find any details on what they use (maybe Zigbee?? 433MHz?? etc??) and how to interpret the data stream coming from the sensor(s).

By using their sensors, it saves me from trying to build my own remote wireless sensors. They've already built sensors that last a year+ on battery, communicate wirelessly and come in a nice little enclosure. I'm just trying to take advantage of that and not re-invent something that I couldn't do as well as they did anyway.

Thanks.

It is most likely proprietary information.

If it isn't, they would share it.

Ask them!

Ask them!

OK, good idea. I just did. We'll see what I get back. Thanks.

Wikipedia and elsewhere says they're Zigbee and Z-wave compatible. I expect the data is to some extent proprietary but that's probably down to the device vendor. SmartThings can apparently talk to equipment from many different vendors; someone needs to write an interface up front for for their hub to use to talk to the vendor's gear so if you want to intercept the radio traffic, you will likely find that each vendor has a different protocol to interpret. If you're unlucky, the vendor will use several.

I haven't looked closely enough at what the hub can do to be sure, but you might want to look at the practicality of writing a smart things smart app that can use their api to make use of the device dependent interfaces that are already in place to give you a device agnostic way to interrogate your hardware.

If you don't want to use Samsungs' system, why would you want to use their sensors? This sounds very much like a no-expenses-soared effort to re-invent the wheel.

Nick_Pyner:
If you don't want to use Samsungs' system, why would you want to use their sensors? This sounds very much like a no-expenses-soared effort to re-invent the wheel.

Their multi-purpose sensors (temp, physical movement, magnetic contact) and their PIR sensors (PIR motion, temp), are very well engineered, power efficient, reliable and in the price range where it isn't worth trying to reinvent the wheel in that case.

On the other hand, their hub requires a wired ethernet connection and when used in a mobile environment with a wifi-to-wired adapter, is very unreliable.

I already have my own ESP8266 monitoring device for our RV (wired temp, motion, GPS) that connects via wifi to a jetpack. Eventually will change to something like Particle Electron or Hologram Dash to eliminate the jetpack. But I'd like to use Samsung's sensors to add some remote sensors, thus the original question.