How can I run an arduino from a battery

Hello,

Im looking to control an arduino from a battery. My plans are to make a "remote" out of an arduino nano and use the NRF24L01 2.4Ghz module to transmit the data. I do not have much knowledge on how long a certain battery would power the arduino plus the module. If you could provide mw ith some insight that would be much appreicated. THANK YOU.

For battery power I would not use a Nano. The Nano runs at 16MHz, has a voltage regulator, a USB to TTL chip and some LEDs that all suck up power. Add a 3.3V regulator to get the power for the rf24 and that just adds more (the Nano 3.3V regulator will not supply sufficient current for a rf24 while transmitting).

A stand alone* mega328 (the processor in the Uno or equivalent) running at 8MHz will work from 2 AA batteries (3V nominal). The rf24 spec says that it will work from 1.9V to 3.6V so will be happy at that voltage, too.

Vastly extend battery life by sleeping the radio and using the low power techniques shown in Nick Gammon's page on power saving and stand alone processors.

*No voltage regulator(s), USB to TTL, LEDs. See the Nick Gammon link.

Ok thank you so much!

There is a video on youtube you might want to watch, it covers different methods to save power when running ATmega328 off a battery.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fiYvnBDsDE

AlfaOmega:
There is a video on youtube you might want to watch, it covers different methods to save power when running ATmega328 off a battery.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fiYvnBDsDE

if you're going to promote YT videos - i'll have to put in a word for Kevin Darrah on the same subject matter - much better tutorials IMO.