how can this machine be damaged ?

i want to do experiments with a large oscilloscope in a nearby lab . they told me , that if i damage it in anyway i would have to pay for it , i can't afford that . is there anyway one can damage an oscilloscope ? i am interested in this one because it has machines controlling a beam through the screen , it's veeery expensive to repair because it's a legacy machine , i am only able to experiment with it because a relative got me to do it , but he also wan't to be sure that i won't damage it ...

how can an old oscilloscope be damaged ?

You could drop it.

If you are looking at AC mains, you could burn up the ground leads.

However, If you are looking at 5 volt levels, you would be OK. .

LarryD: You could drop it.

If you are looking at AC mains, you could burn up the ground leads.

However, If you are looking at 5 volt levels, you would be OK. .

thank you very much , it's quite big , i cannot even be moved . one man told me that if the beam is fixed at a point for too long it can burn it . is that correct ? (Note : i did start a thread about oscilloscopes before , but this time it's a veery old machine so it's a different case)

why don't you enroll to university ? so they will teach you properly and your damages will be covered by assurance

If the scope is old, you can burn the screen like that. Some old storage scopes were bad for screen burning if not looked after. You can buy some used scopes at very reasonable prices.

What things are you wanting to do with the scope? .

Just make sure the trace is moving and not excessively bright. If the trace is a stationary dot, it can burn the phosphor coating. If it is a line or pattern, it is not going to cause a problem unless excessively bright or left with same pattern for a long time.

Weedpharma

What are you measuring ? The y input amplifiers will have a voltage limit, is it valve or transistor.?

Poking around an an inductor or 5V motor could destroy the input amplifier.

amine2: , it's veeery expensive to repair because it's a legacy machine ,

What sort of legacy machine ?

For amateur use modern scopes are cheap especially second hand.

Its possible that said machine could be something special like a HP spectrum analyser or something. 30 yrs ago i used one that cost 40 K then.

I had at the same time a Heathkit 20 MHZ scope i would not worry about.

Suggest you avoid unless you can get more information.