How can we install the Python package other than using pip?

dear Arduinofellows,

first of all - i hope that you are all well and all goes okay

the question today is: How can we install the Python package other than using pip?th

i run Python on MX-Linux - there is

root@mx:/home/martin# python3 --V
unknown option --V
usage: python3 [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
Try `python -h' for more information.
root@mx:/home/martin# python3 -V
Python 3.7.3
root@mx:/home/martin# pip install pandas
bash: pip: command not found.

i have no pip on the machine: if i want to install pandas with the following command it does not work

pip install pandas

well i guess that i first of all need to instal pip

1) Find the package at PyPI - the Python Package Index . 2) Download the source code, 3) Read the INSTALL.txt or README.txt for clue on installation. 4) Usually installation is made of these steps $ python setup.py build $ python setup.py install

If you do not have EasyBuild installed yet, or if you just want to install the most recent version of each of the EasyBuild packages, you can use one of the following simple commands:

using easy_install (old tool, but still works):
easy_install --prefix $HOME/EasyBuild easybuild

Note If we already have easybuild installed, we may need to instruct easy_install to install a newer version, using --upgrade or -U.

using pip (more recent and better installation tool for Python software):

pip install --install-option "--prefix=$HOME/EasyBuild" easybuild

The --prefix $HOME/EasyBuild part in these commands allows you to install EasyBuild without admin rights into $HOME/EasyBuild.

Note For pip v8.0 and newer, pip install --prefix=$HOME/EasyBuild easybuild works too.

but wait: this page tells us that pip should be no my machine:

pip is already installed if you are using Python 2 >=2.7.9 or Python 3 >=3.4 downloaded from python.org or if you are working in a Virtual Environment created by virtualenv or pyvenv. Just make sure to upgrade pip.

Installing with get-pip.py To install pip, securely download get-pip.py by following this link: get-pip.py. Alternatively, use curl:

curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py

Then run the following command in the folder where you have downloaded get-pip.py:

python get-pip.py Warning Be cautious if you are using a Python install that is managed by your operating system or another package manager. get-pip.py does not coordinate with those tools, and may leave your system in an inconsistent state.

so after all i am a bit confused: what should i do - if i want to install pandas

• the questions are:

• wich options do i have to install pandas without pip

• besides that: am i able to install pip with a simple method without running into any troubles?!?

• what should i do have to look for the preliminary steps!?

• are there any stepstones or pitfalls here !?

i guess that this is quite helpful since it belongs to the same area of scope and interest.

love to hear from you

When you are using Python 3, I think the command is pip3, not pip. Give that a try to see if it's already installed on your system.

If not, use this command to install it:

apt install python3-pip