How do I approach this project?

I am a beginner with the arduino platform and coding, but I want to start up a project. My idea is to build a scoreboard with scores, periods, and a timer. I want to know how to code it, but don’t really know where to start. I want there to be two separate modules, one to display, one to control. The control panel I want to have a num pad to enter the time, an LED to indicate time is actually running, a reset switch, a period inc/dec, and then home/away scores. I really appreciate all your guys’ help. Thanks!

13adf1a5b1477b8f2744fd042ffd2cf67c9be334.png

How to post images.

noahsevcik:
I am a beginner with the arduino platform and coding, but I want to start up a project. My idea is to build a scoreboard with scores, periods, and a timer. I want to know how to code it, but don’t really know where to start. I want there to be two separate modules, one to display, one to control. The control panel I want to have a num pad to enter the time, an LED to indicate time is actually running, a reset switch, a period inc/dec, and then home/away scores. I really appreciate all your guys’ help. Thanks!

We help those who have tried. We do not do systems design, product engineering, nor code.Please start with the basics and we can help.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
We do not do systems design, product engineering, nor code.

I'm more than happy to do all those things for clients at my hourly rate.....

noahsevcik:
My idea is to build a scoreboard with scores, periods, and a timer. I want to know how to code it, but don't really know where to start.

Do a site search on 'scoreboard', there are a number of threads on this.

Actually, since you admit you don't know where to begin, might I suggest learning your way around the C++ language (voluminous resources on this site and elsewhere on the web) and studying the demo sketches in IDE/file/examples. Especially the first five in examples/digital.

dougp:
Do a site search on ‘scoreboard’, there are a number of threads on this.

Actually, since you admit you don’t know where to begin, might I suggest learning your way around the C++ language (voluminous resources on this site and elsewhere on the web) and studying the demo sketches in IDE/file/examples. Especially the first five in examples/digital.

I would say to focus on C rather than C++ - while Arduino is indeed programmed in C++, a lot of discussion of C++ will center on aspects of the language that aren’t typically used in embedded development…

And it just might be helpful to say what game you intend to be presenting the score for. That picture doesn't look like any cricket or tennis scoreboard I can think of.

Steve

Sprinkle in the complexity of how are the two modules going to communicate to each other and over what distances.

If this is a project beyond your personal yard, it very well may require a permit and a appropriately constructed housing.

What equivalent commercial units have you compared against?

Buy an Arduino, any Arduino, buy the cheapest one you can find so if the magic smoke escapes it won't hurt too much. Do all the tutorials and exercises. Buy some LEDs and 220 ohm resistors, make the LEDs flash in pretty patterns. Buy a display and get that working. Buy some buttons and a key pad, learn how to use those.

Once you've done all that you should have learned enough to have a much better idea about how you do your project.

Have fun and don't be afraid to try stuff.

Read and re-read and read again the "how to use Millis" in the program help section of the forum.