How do I clear my Arduino's memory

I Have uploaded to my Arduino in the past but do not know how to clear its memory.
Please help
if you know of any good beginner tutorials I would like a link or name any help is appreciated.

Hello - and welcome.

Although it probably is possible to erase the memory, it's not normally something you'd need to worry about as any uploaded new sketch over-writes any existing sketch.

If you wanted to on-sell or securely dispose of a chip so as not to reveal some sensitive program then just upload "blink" (or something like it) first.

Does that help?

You do not need to clear its memory. When you upload a new sketch it will overwrite the one currently loaded

If, for some reason, you want the board to do nothing obvious, simply start a new sketch, which will be effectively empty, and upload that. The Arduino will actually be very busy but it will not be obvious by looking at it

Thank you for replying i keep getting error messages when uploading that look like this Arduino: 1.8.15 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 924 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

what does it mean

i am getting more error messages like "Arduino: 1.8.15 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 924 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x90

Problem uploading to board. See Upload – Arduino Help Center for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences."
Help please

Which COM port have you got selected in the IDE ?

com1

Is it actually connected to COM1 (which would be unusual)?

my Arduino

Click on Tools -> Port and see what COM ports are showing; don't rely on what's shown in the bottom right hand area (that's just what it's set to - not what's actually present).

I have selected com4 and am now trying to upload my code

That sounds better. You also need to ensure that "Board" and "Processor" are correct under the Tools menu.

how do I know which processor to use

Just see what works. What board do you have? Most people seem to use a Nano or a Uno - in which case the processor is an ATMEGA328P - could be normal or old bootloader - just try both if it's not working.

I use Nano

Thank you for your help. I am very new to this, what is a good place to go for tutorials

No problem - that's what they pay us the big bucks for on the volunteer "help desk" :wink:

If it's a Nano then under Tools -> Board select (wait for it) "Arduino Nano". Under Tools -> Processor try both of the first two options. Leave COM port on 4 if that's what it is connected to.

In terms of tutorials, there are a zillion of them on the net - just google for them.

do you code the Arduino if so I would love to see snippets of your code if not that is fine thank you for your Help

I sure do - I do a few example sketches for people here too.

By the way - when you post a sketch here there's a right way and a wrong way to do it; the right way is (in the IDE) to select all (ctrl+A) then ctrl+shift+C to copy it to the clipboard in a forum-friendly format - then just do a ctrl+V to paste it in your post (if you can't remember that then you can see the same under the Edit menu). ctrl+T auto-formats the sketch which is good to do.

Here's one I wrote for someone here who wanted to control "traffic lights" using interrupts (note that this isn't the "beginner way" of detecting button presses).

const int RED             = 13;                                       // Assign LEDs to pins
const int BLUE            = 12;
const int GREEN           = 11;

const int buttonPin       = 2;                                        // Assign button to pin

volatile bool buttonFlag = LOW;                                       // Assume button hasn't been pressed to start with

void setup () 
{
  pinMode(RED, OUTPUT);                                               //Pin 13, Red LED
  pinMode(BLUE, OUTPUT);                                              //Pin 12, yellow LED
  pinMode(GREEN, OUTPUT);                                             //Pin 11, green LED
  pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT_PULLUP);                                   //Pin 2, buttonPin

attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(buttonPin), pin_ISR, CHANGE); // Point to the interrupt handler
} 

void loop () 
{
  if (buttonFlag == HIGH)                                             // Button been pressed? If so then ...
  {
    digitalWrite(GREEN, HIGH);                                        // Green LED on

for (int16_t cjsDelay = 5000; cjsDelay > 0; cjsDelay--)           // 5 second delay
    {
      delayMicroseconds(1000);
    }

digitalWrite(GREEN,LOW);                                          // Green LED off
    digitalWrite(BLUE, HIGH);                                         // Yellow LED on

for (int16_t cjsDelay = 1000; cjsDelay > 0; cjsDelay--)           // 1 Second delay
    {
      delayMicroseconds(1000);
    }

digitalWrite(BLUE,LOW);                                           // Yellow LED off
    digitalWrite(RED,HIGH);                                           // Red LED on

for (int16_t cjsDelay = 5000; cjsDelay > 0; cjsDelay--)           // 5 Second delay
    {
      delayMicroseconds(1000);
    }

digitalWrite(RED,LOW);                                            // Red LED off

buttonFlag = LOW;                                                 // Reset button flag
  }

if (buttonFlag == LOW)                                              // If we've finished the sequence and button hasn't been pressed then turn everything off
  {
    digitalWrite(GREEN, LOW);                                         // Green LED off
    digitalWrite(BLUE, LOW);                                          // Yellow LED off
    digitalWrite(RED, LOW);                                           // Red LED off
  }
}

void pin_ISR() 
{
  static unsigned long lastInterruptTime = 0;                         // Setup for key bounce & stuck button handling
  unsigned long interruptTime = millis();                             // Document interrupt time

if (interruptTime - lastInterruptTime > 1000)                       // If it's been at least 1 second since last interrupt then proceed
  {
    buttonFlag = HIGH;                                                // Indicate button press
    lastInterruptTime = interruptTime;                                // Document last EFFECTIVE interrupt time for debounce & stuck button handling
  }
}

Thank you i would love to stay in touch if possible what is the easiest way to reach you even if its just on this site