How do I easily program a bunch of Duemilanoves?

I need to program a number of boards. While I could use the IDE to do it, it seems like there must be a better way. What do I need in the way of hardware and software such that I can easily load the same program into a number of boards.

Thanks,
Jim.

I'm not sure if there's anything already around for it, but you could modify the IDE to enumerate all the USB devices, and send the program to each one that looks like an Arduino. Then just chain up a few hubs depending on how many Duemilanoves you're talking about, connect all the Arduinos, and watch the fun.

(If you do have to use hubs, I'd assume powered ones would be better for this.)

Thanks, I don't have a problem with disconnecting a device and reconnecting the next one, but my limited experience has found that each time I do that I have to restart the ide. If I could just unplug, plug program and repeat it would be fine. I was hoping for a command line loader or something to connect to the ISP port or ??. I have seen mention of the AVRISP v2 programmer. Can that be used?

What OS are you using? I unplug and replug my Arduino frequently when programming, and I never have to restart the IDE, using version 17 on Windows XP.

I was hoping for a command line loader or something

Good news: your dream has come true :slight_smile:

The IDE uses a command line loader called "avrdude" to download the hex file to the bootloader. If you change "build.verbose" in the preferences.txt file to "true", you can see the avrdude command line logged in the IDE. You can then copy and paste that to shorten the download cycle for the second and subsequent Arduinos.

Ran

Good news: your dream has come true

Great. That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Jim

The IDE uses a command line loader called "avrdude" to download the hex file to the bootloader. If you change "build.verbose" in the preferences.txt file to "true", you can see the avrdude command line logged in the IDE. You can then copy and paste that to shorten the download cycle for the second and subsequent Arduinos.

Ran

Except the output didn't include the avrdude line. The last line was an avr-objcopy. The avrdude line didn't appear. :cry:

Jim.

Not sure if this would work, but wouldnt you just be able to hook up 1 Arduino to USB, and chain the rest on thru pins 0 and 1? They are connected directly to the FTDI interface output and the ATMega input, so technically all the ATMega's should receive the same data as the one being programmed.

Except the output didn't include the avrdude line. The last line was an avr-objcopy. The avrdude line didn't appear. Cry

Setting "upload.verbose=true" will show the messages from avrdude. What you see are the compiler messages which are enabled by "build.verbose".

Eberhard

Makes complete sense. Are these settings documented somewhere?

Thanks,
Jim.

Are these settings documented somewhere?

No, or let's say not any more...
From version 0018 on the detailed messages are printed when you hold down the shift-key when clicking verify or upload with the mouse.

The release candiate is here : Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. (Download-links at the bottom)
and needs some Testers.
Eberhard