How do I make a wheeled robot from a 2-Wheeled chassis?

(not sure to put here or robotics or FAQ)

Hey, so since it's summer, I decided that why don't I create a robot using an arduino. I was thinking of creating it from scratch but then I thought why do that when I get a kit.

So I found this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2WD-Smart-Robot-Car-Chassis-Kit-Speed-encoder-Battery-Box-Arduino-2-motor-1-48-/231006386551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c90db977

I also gathered it's quite popular since it's pretty much that type of chassis is the most common robot chassis sold in China. One thing I don't understand is that it's obviously missing parts that are needed.

Other than the obvious, Arduino. What more do I need? I gathered that it needs a:

HC-SR04 distance sensor for autonomous driving and simple object detection
Motor shield to drive the motors on the chassis.
9v battery to power the arduino portable and the 4xAA on the chassis powers the motor shield, am I correct?

Sadly, that's what I have so far but I was hoping you would help me and I also want the ability for the distance sensor to move so the robot can detect objects at different angles, is there a commonly name for a sensor mount, would I need to custom build it?

I apologise for the questions but I wanna make sure I get the right parts.

I also wanted to ask what is a good robotics book, one that has the general tutorial, that goes into detail about the parts and one I can refer to.

If you want to point the sensor in different directions, you could mount it on top of a servo.

PeterH:
If you want to point the sensor in different directions, you could mount it on top of a servo.

Ah, great idea. someone also suggested that to me as well.

I think I have my shopping list:
Chassis kit
9g servo
distance sensor
9v battery to power the motors
I was going to get a motor shield but someone told me I should get this (Pololu - DRV8833 Dual Motor Driver Carrier)

I think that's it for the basic two-wheeled autonomous robot. I just want it move around using the gear motors it has on the chassis kit then 9g servo will continuously rotate the distance sensor possibly 180 degrees and when the distance sensor sees an robot, it will be able to avoid it and I'm thinking this would be pretty simple to convert into a robot if I decide to, use my remote to control.

I'm buying from China so during that time, I would start learning and constructing the code for the robot.

So far it's looking good, anything that may need to be added maybe not now but for later convenience or are there any other better ways I can approach this rather than a kit?

I was going to get a motor shield but someone told me I should get this (Pololu - DRV8833 Dual Motor Driver Carrier)

Unless you are good the a soldering iron don't use the above get a shield.

Look at some of the other robot bodies available!. But as this is your first project and .......

Mark

2-motor shield
http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/html/basic_motor_driver.html
use a better battery than little square 9V battery, those have very little capacity.
4xAA or 4xAAA is better.

I don't own a GOduino robot controller, but from what I've read it would seem to be the sort of thing you're looking for.

If you can get away with 1A continuous (3A peak) you could also consider something like a Baby Orangutan B-328 Robot Controller. I've got a couple of them and they're great little things. (The only problem I've found is that one of the motor control pins clashes with the SPI bus so you can't use both motors plus SPI at the same time.)