How do I replace SD library withnew one

I have installed Arduino 1.8.1 but have to use a newer version of the SD library than the one installed with 1.8.1. The new SD lib. contains the SDclass::end function which I need due to the fact that I have to remove the SD card for copying logdata to my PC at intervals. I have downloaded the new SD library from Github, but how do I replace the old SD library with the new one? By the way, where is the library folder placed ? - I'm running Win7 pro 64bit.

Please post a link to where you downloaded the new SD library from. Use the chain links icon on the tool bar to make it clickable.

The version 1.1.1 of the official Arduino SD library included with Arduino IDE 1.8.1 is up to date. There has been no development since that release.

ffur:
By the way, where is the library folder placed ? - I’m running Win7 pro 64bit.

There are 3 locations for library files:

• Sketchbook: {sketchbook folder}/libraries. The sketchbook folder location can be found (or changed) at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location:. This is the location of libraries installed via Library Manager (Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries…) or Sketch > Include Library > Add .ZIP Library. You should also manually install libraries to that location.

• IDE: {Arduino IDE install folder}/libraries. This is for the libraries included with the Arduino IDE installation. You should never install libraries to that folder because they will be lost when you update to a new IDE version.

• Core: This is dependent on the current selection in Tools > Board. Location will depend on if you’re using a hardware core bundled with the IDE, installed via Boards Manager, or manually installed to {sketchbook folder}/hardware. The best way to find it is to do:

• Tools > Examples > SPI > BarometricPressureSensor (or any other SPI library example sketch)

• Sketch > Show Sketch Folder - this will open the SPI/examples/BarometricPressureSensor folder inside of the current hardware core’s libraries folder

To find any library do this:

• Tools > Examples > open any example from the library you want to find
  • Sketch > Show Sketch Folder - this will open the example folder inside of the library folder.

To pert

I have downloaded my SD library from https://github.com/adafruit/SD

The function I need are in SD.cpp line 349 SDClass::end

I have been using this new library in my temperature logger in Arduino 1.0.5, but I want to upgrade to 1.8.1.

The Arduino IDE will show the SD library as Type: updatable in Library Manager and will show updatable library notifications if you have them enabled. Do not choose to update the SD library or you will go back to using the standard Arduino SD library.

pert Thanks, that solved my problem, but now compiling my sketch fails with LiquidCrystal definitions, but the SD library problem is solved.

Post your code and the full error output and we’ll see if we can help you find a solution. Use code tags(</> button on the toolbar) for both.

To pert

Sorry for not responding earlier, but I have been away for a couple of days. I have found the reason for my problem with LiquidDisplay definitions. I had a backup of my sketch in the same folder as the sketch I was trying to compile. If I commented out the LCD definitions in my sketch,the compiler just errored the next definition which was a OneWire pin definition. I moved the backup to a different folder and everything was ok.

Thank for your help.