How do i take pictures wirelessly using arduino uno

I want to have a camera attached to an Arduino a few meters from me. I want to be able to have that camera take a picture and send it wireless to my computer.

How do i accomplish this? What cameras do you suggest?

I was thinking of using two XBEE to communication with each other (One can be connected to the camera and the other to my computer ). But how do i send a picture using the XBEE network?

Thanks a lot!

How do i accomplish this?

How long have you got? What resolution do you want?
Arduino and images do not mix well.

Arduino still image to SD card - 10 to 15 seconds
http://www.ladyada.net/make/IoTcamera/

Then send the file over xbee.

How do i accomplish this? What cameras do you suggest?

Just use a GoPro. From what I recall the API has been reverse engineered, so you should be able to do this quite easily

Forget building this yourself unless you want to do it as a technical exercise, in which case I'd suggest you start with something a lot simpler, like getting an LED to flash at different rates

To send a picture wireless to your computer you could also use an eyefi sd card.
This has nothing to do with arduino, but arduino, XBEE and pictures do not go very well together.

I don't think eyeFi can tell any arbitary camera to take a picture can it???

i.e if you look at what the OP wrote

I want to be able to have that camera take a picture

the Have indicates they want to control the camera

There are multiple camera's you can buy with Wifi control and download facilities, but not all of them have open or reverse engineered API's

It's easy to control any camera (eg a DSLR) that can take a remote trigger/release. But getting the image back is a different problem. Any DSLR can be controlled from the Arduino but I have not heard of any that can send there pic's back to a remote PC.

If you don't care about quality then look at an "IP Cam" basically a remote web cam. Not a bad option as the Arduino is not needed!

Mark

Use a WiFi SD card - I use Toshiba FlashAir.

Grumpy_Mike:
How long have you got? What resolution do you want?
Arduino and images do not mix well.

Arduino still image to SD card - 10 to 15 seconds
Internet of Things Camera -

Then send the file over xbee.

I've got awhile. I want a decent resolution. Of course 720 P would be great, but 640x480 would be fine.

rogerClark:
There are multiple camera's you can buy with Wifi control and download facilities, but not all of them have open or reverse engineered API's

Where can i find these cameras?

AWOL:
Use a WiFi SD card - I use Toshiba FlashAir.

I was thinking, i thinking of making a setup where the camera would take a picture and put it on the Wi-Fi SD card. Are these card formatted to work with SD shields on arduinos?