How do I turn off the Arduino?

Hello everyone! I made an Arduino robot, and I'm using the Arduino Uno, which doesn't have a power switch. The way I turn it off is disconnect the power. I do that very frequently. Is that safe? Is there a better alternative?

Thanks in advance.

You could put a switch in the power lead.

it is safe. and you could get an adapter which sits simply between the psu and the connector of your arduino, which has a small switch. or you could hack it :) Or get a generic one from china with a switch (you already bought a real one, so i think its fine cause you already supported the makers :) )

~Straw

This works well... https://www.pololu.com/product/751

As a bonus, the robot can turn itself off.

professorpancake21: The way I turn it off is disconnect the power. I do that very frequently. Is that safe? Is there a better alternative?

Disconnecting the power is a fairly universal way of turning something off. :grinning:

Ok, so you are thinking of something like Windoze, where you have to tell it to safely shut down? That is because you need to save the "state" of the computer, make sure that everything that needs to be (and a lot that does not need to be) is safely written back to the disk ready for next time.

This is very rarely necessary for Arduino projects, certainly most improbable for a robot (Unless it is "Number five"), so no trouble to you.

professorpancake21: Is that safe? Is there a better alternative?

Yes it is safe but why don't you use a simple switch so that you don't have to unplug wires ?

@zaxarias: Yes, I do have a SPST external switch (single-pole, single-throw), so I don't need to unplug wires.

professorpancake21:
@zaxarias: Yes, I do have a SPST external switch (single-pole, single-throw), so I don’t need to unplug wires.

Perfect… ;D ;D

zaxarias: Yes it is safe but why don't you use a simple switch so that you don't have to unplug wires ?

But how to plug this switch?

I made an Arduino robot

how to plug this switch?

This is like "I passed my driving test... How do I get into a car?"

this reminds me of a kids poem from my childhood

PaulRB: I made an Arduino robot

But how to plug this switch?

This is like "I passed my driving test... How do I get into a car?"

Different posters, so no, it's not like that at all:

professorpancake21: I made an Arduino robot

LaPagePT: But how to plug this switch?

fishboneDiagram: Different posters, so no, it's not like that at all:

Oops! You're quite correct, I didn't spot that. Apologies to professorpancake21.