How do I type words on keyboard that can be relected on COM and LCD

I was trying to write a program where it takes few word and to display on Com1 and attached LCD display?

Neither gerchar() not putchar() works with Arduino.

I am quite new to C language and details on guide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Panch

I don't want to have to retype it all here, so just look at this link.

Serial Input Basics

Thank you very much for the great tutorials on Serial. I am sure that everyone benefited out of this tutorials. Very nicely done for the beginners. I really appreciated those who spent much time to educate everyone of us and I thank them.

One question on that is the 'Serial.read' command, does this command takes character frmo KEYBOARD or Serial to Serial communication?

The most important question that I have for me to benefit in the future is that I do not know how to place my questions under which category? I always thought the programmers have programming question and it should go to Programming category. Please help me to understand.

Thanks for your patience
arjyoges

arjyoges:
One question on that is the ‘Serial.read’ command, does this command takes character frmo KEYBOARD or Serial to Serial communication?

It reads an incoming character from serial communication. There is nothing in that tutorial that directly applies to a keyboard. You can send serial data to your Arduino by opening Tools > Serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE, typing text in the input field, and then pressing Enter or clicking the “Send” button.

There is also nothing in the tutorial that directly applies to printing to an LCD, though the LCD library will use a similar code as is used for sending serial data.

arjyoges:
The most important question that I have for me to benefit in the future is that I do not know how to place my questions under which category? I always thought the programmers have programming question and it should go to Programming category.

Questions about programming should be posted in the “Programming Questions” forum section.

Each forum section has a description explains its purpose. You only need to read these descriptions and then choose the forum section that best fits your question.

When you say keyboard, do you mean the keyboard on your PC? The Arduino can’t see that. You’ll need some program on the PC to send the keystrokes to the Arduino.

It is possible to connect a keyboard directly to the Arduino but it isn’t clear if that’s what you want.

Thank you for your valuable reply.

Yes! I would like to use a separate USB Keyboard hooked on to Arduino UNO model and work the sketches using a PC. Do you have any information about it?

Thanks very much and your help is greatly appreciated.
arjyoges

To use a USB keyboard with your Uno, you will need a USB host shield.

If you can find an old PS/2 keyboard, this can be connected directly to the Uno without the need to buy a special shield. You can't use one of the simple USB to PS/2 adapters to convert a USB keyboard to PS/2 though.

arjyoges:
Yes! I would like to use a separate USB Keyboard hooked on to Arduino UNO model and work the sketches using a PC.

This seems very confusing.

The normal thing is to have the keyboard connected to the PC and run the sketches on the Arduino.

An Arduino cannot connect directly to a USB keyboard because an Arduino, and a keyboard are both USB "slaves" and need to be connected to a USB Host - such as a PC. (Not sure if "slave" is the right word, but you should get the idea). You can get an Arduino Host Shield but I have no experience of it and I don't know what sort of USB devices it can host.

...R