How do I upgrade the IDE from 1.0.1 to 1.0.6

I'm trying to upgrade my Arduino IDE from 1.0.1 to 1.0.6. The theory is that I want the newest version before I try to follow the instructions to make the IDE program recognize the AdaFruit Trinket. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit, on an HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx. This machine has 7.7 GIB of memory, an Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4 processor, with AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series video, and 374.2 GB on the HD. Here's the problem. I've downloaded both version 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 of the Arduino IDE. I unpacked the .tar into a seperate (new) directory. In neither case can I find an install.exe or install.ini or some such program that will install the new version. What am I doing wrong, and how do I upgrade my IDE? And, yes, I have looked through the forum. I found no answer there so far. That doesn't mean that the answer isn't there. I only means that I didn't see it or recognize it if I did see it. Please understand this. I am a plodder. I need step by step (keystroke by keystroke) instructions on how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Bill

There is no installation needed other than unzipping the tarball (your home directory is a good place for the arduino directory). Open a terminal and cd into the arduino-1.0.x directory and type ./arduino and press enter, you should be good to go.

cd path/to/arduino-1.0.x

Ubuntu install.exe

Linux doesn't use .exe. Most programs are standalone and don't need installation.

tf68: Thank you for the help. I'll try this.

I looked in the installation page and found some more info. From the terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install arduino arduino-core

This gets me up to 1:1.0.5+dfsg2-2

Not to 1.0.6. I suspect that this is because the repository isn't up to date yet, and 1:1.0.5+dfsg2-2 is the newest version in the repository. I have no idea what the 1: or +dfsg2-2 means. Anyone? Thanks again for your help. Bill

First, a thank you to mart256. Thank you for your reply. Now that I think of it, this should have been obvious, even to me.

Second, thank you to tf68. Using your instructions I got version 1.0.6 to load. I have to launch it from the terminal, but I can launch it.

There is still an issue. Once I launch the program it shows up in my launch bar. I can fix the icon for the 1.0.6 to my launch bar. However I cannot launch the program from that icon. When I do lock the icon to the launch bar it reads as sketch_sep23a|Arduino 1.0.6. The icon is very blurry as well. All the other versions that I have loaded read only as 1.0.x. I suspect that this addition of the “sketch” information is causing a problem. I don't know. Any thoughts? Again, thank you for your help. Bill

FYI, I simply couldn't figure out how to do an Arduino UPDATE (not an initial installation) on Linux Mint. But I'm still kinda new to Linux, and i was thinking that it would be like updating a Windows program - that there would be an actual update process, getting rid of the old files and replacing them with the new ones. But I finally found, and followed, the page "Install the Arduino Software (IDE) on Linux", and although it didn't refer to updating, I followed it anyway. And it worked, by following the instructions verbatim.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Linux

I downloaded the package file to my /home directory, then extracted it to there. (So now I have a /home/arduino-1.8.5 directory.)

I opened Terminal, navigated to that directory (cd arduino-1.8.5), then ran the Install shell script as per the instructions (./install.sh), and voila! I had a new desktop icon for Arduino version 1.8.5! (Yes... it's simple... if you know how to do it.) It also added an icon to my big lost of programs that comes up when I click the main Linux "Menu" icon, and I right-clicked on that, and chose "Add to panel". Now I can run it from my little shortcuts panel.

Comment: for those of you trying to help an obvious newbie, just a little more detail is sometimes all it takes to take us from scratching our heads to that "aha!" moment.