How do I use the headers to pin the Nano 33 IoT to a breadboard?

I bought the Nano 33 IoT and can get it working fine while it's dangling from a USB. How do I pin it to a breadboard using the headers that came with it? Which way do the headers fit into the Nano, and how do I get it to stay in the breadboard without me jamming my thumbs into it fearing I'll also bend the pins?

Also, once it's pinned to the breadboard, if I have an LED or anything else on the breadboard, do the jumper wires need to be placed on the -/+ spots? I'm a little fuzzy on this.

I also have the UNO R3 and am familiar with using the breadboard with this, but the Nano confuses me.

• Images or examples would be great - having a hard time finding basic things like this for the Nano.

did you solder the headers to the board?

No - at the moment, I have no soldering tools nor have I any experience, so I'm trying to keep this as loose as possible for now.

I was able to get the headers into the breadboard and lay the Nano on top (though still loose when moved around).

My other question about where the jumpers go still stands though. I assumed it's something like this (see attachment), following how the Uno works, but the LED doesn't light up. I don't think it's the code because it's just a simple LED blink, and I'm thinking it's the way I've configured the board.

int ledPinRed = 10;

void setup() {
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(ledPinRed, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, 1);
  digitalWrite(ledPinRed, HIGH);
  Serial.println("ledPinRed HIGH");
  delay(200);       // Wait for 200 millisecond(s)
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, 0);
  digitalWrite(ledPinRed, LOW);
  Serial.println("ledPinRed LOW");
  delay(200);       // Wait for 200 millisecond(s)
}

My attachment doesn’t seem to be added. Trying again.

the headers are only useful when soldered.

skot317:
No - at the moment, I have no soldering tools nor have I any experience,

Maybe you can find a maker space or other place where they play with electronics like FPV drones where you live. Its time to make some new friends. :slight_smile:

skot317:
..., so I'm trying to keep this as loose as possible for now.

That is a bad idea. The voltages and currents are very small and therefore a good connection is necessary. High voltages allow electricity to flow through air (sparks). You do not have that luxury. :slight_smile:

@skot317's 20200620_095042a.jpg:

It's difficult to say for sure from the picture, but there's definitely at least one problem with your circuit:
You have both of the LED's jumper wires plugged into the + bus on the breadboard.

It also looks like the current limiting resistor for the LED is not in series, as it must be. This is very important for you to get right.

I always have trouble with parallax when looking at pictures of breadboards, so I can't tell what you connections are to the Nano 33 IoT. The general approach with breadboards is to connect the GND pin to the - bus and 3.3V to the + bus, then use jumper wires to make connections from the parts of your circuit to the digital and analog pins on the Arduino board. It looks like you might be using the bus for the connection to the digital pin, which is not a normal thing to do and will cause confusion.

But you also need to get those headers soldered before you can do anything on the breadboard. Until then, stick with only using the onboard LED that's connected to the LED_BUILTIN pin on the Nano 33 IoT.