how do usb devices communicate?

this isn't actually a problem with my arduino project but it deals with usb communication so i thought i'd post it here; figured you guys would know more about the actual signal stuff.

so i just bought my netgear 6200v2 router, it has a usb 3.0 netshare port. when i plug in a single hard drive, the router recognizes it and i'm therefore able to get to it from my computer.

but i'm trying to use a usb hub (it's externally powered fyi) as a way to have multiple devices over netshare, but the hub isn't being recognized.

so i'm guessing this is an issue with.. however usb communication protocols work. so if i were to tap into the two data wires of the usb hub, could i induce a sequence of signals to mimic the "recognition signal" that's supposed to happen?

bmarconi: so if i were to tap into the two data wires of the usb hub, could i induce a sequence of signals to mimic the "recognition signal" that's supposed to happen?

NO.

USB is very complex, and very fast. This document might provide some food for thought, but I think it pre-dates USB3

...R