How do you communicate with a computer and an Xbee using an uno?

Hi all,

My current project is to use an Xbee, a Uno and a computer. I want to set up a system where the uno receives data from the Xbee, processes it and sends it to the computer.

In the future this project will need to run on an Intel Galileo board, it is very similar with the Uno and has the same I/O pins , but the Software Serial library is not supported.

As you know you can only communicate with either the Xbee or the computer using the hardware serial, pins 0 and 1, so the standard xbee shield won't work. I can't use the Seeedstudio Xbee shield because that uses the Software Serial library.

I had the idea that it might be possible to use a Xbee adapter or another uno and Xbee shield and comunicate using I2C or SPI but I don't know how feasible that would be.

Has anyone encountered this problem before and how would you solve it?

In the future this project will need to run on an Intel Galileo board, it is very similar with the Uno and has the same I/O pins , but the Software Serial library is not supported.

Then, it isn't "very similar". You should start with the Intel Galileo, so you ONLY use capabilities that are present on that board.