How do you know the connection between the arduino and a module?

Hi,

This might be the wrong forum, but I’ll start here. Also, this could be a stupid question.

I bought a pack of modules, one of them is a Vibration Sensor Module. I found some guides on how the connection should be, but how can I see it by myself?

I attached two pictures of the module.

It appears S is 5v pin and - is the ground pin. There is a pullup resistor to the middle one do use and analog input to read the voltage for there. Then use the serial monitor to display the readings. This should show the output of the sensor. Thanks for the very clear pictures.

NoraTheDoggo:
It appears S is 5v pin and - is the ground pin. There is a pullup resistor to the middle one do use and analog input to read the voltage for there. Then use the serial monitor to display the readings. This should show the output of the sensor. Thanks for the very clear pictures.

How do you know the S is a 5v pin? Is this always the case?
I followed this picture:

But I have some trouble understanding why the first pin goes to the 5v, the middle to the GND and the last to a digital pin.

I'm sorry it looks like S stands for sence or sensing data line. The middle is 5v and the - is ground.

How to insert images in your posts. After you have posted and you have a post in the thread with attachments, like IMG_20180612_194049.jpg and IMG_20180612_194037.jpg in your first post, right click on the file name and copy the link address. (I just did it). Then modify your post. Click on the "Insert an image" tool icon in the edit window. You'll be asked for the URL of an image. Paste the copied link. You'll get a text like this in your message window:

[img]https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=552811.0;attach=262000[/img]

...which will turn into this:

It gets even easier with images you link from elsewhere, like your picture in post #3. Just click on the image insert thing and paste your circuitbasics.com link there:

gel11:
I bought a pack of modules, one of them is a Vibration Sensor Module. I found some guides on how the connection should be, but how can I see it by myself?

The normal way to do that is to read the datasheet for the module.

There is no “natural” system for identifying the purpose of connections without the datasheet. Similar looking products often use their connections very differently. To give a very simple example compare a 7805 voltage regulator with an LM317 voltage regulator.

…R